2. Sanskaar

Sanskaar Maheshwari had a packed schedule on that day. Just like his normal days. And he liked to keep it that way. Running from one place to another kept him focussed on the next appointment and reduced the chances of sinking into his past to curse his mistakes.

“Sanskaar. Stop!”

He turned back to see his Mom hurrying towards him. Sujata Maheshwari was one of a kind. He sometimes wondered if God was unable to decide her dominant role. So he made her a wife and mother for short bursts and a daughter-in-law as her full time role. She cared about public perception of the family and her status as a Maheshwari lady. When she found relief from the show time, she thought about her son and daughter.

“You came to meet Lakshya but not your mother. Sanskaar, you are forgetting me with every passing day. Now Lakshya is more important to you than your own mother. What has destiny done to me?”

“Mom, please. Don't start the melodrama now.” Sanskaar was used to those dialogues since his childhood. His time away from home in the past three years only increased the drama content whenever he met his Mom. “I meet you every Saturday. Today is Lakshya's engagement. So I came to wish him. And yes, today he is more important. Don't you agree?”

Sujata nodded absently but soon wanted to correct. Before she did, Sanskaar said, “I knew you would be busy with the rituals and all. I didn't want to disturb you.”

She hugged him close forgetting about the debate and feeling happy to see him one more time. After a short conversation, Sanskaar convinced her to go back in. But he couldn't move until his mother went in. He wanted to see her till the last glimpse.

However, the last glimpse introduced another character coming out of the house. A petite girl in a pastel yellow lehenga walked briskly in his direction. Her wavy hair was half dried like she had done nothing but run her fingers through them. It was evident she was not accustomed to carrying the lehenga as she picked it up in the front with both palms to just below her knees. He felt bad for the color and the cloth as it followed at the back sweeping the dirt off the road.

“Sanskaar, right?” She said as a greeting and dropped the skirt to lick the floor at the front as well. She combed the fringes away from her face not bothering to tuck them behind the ears.

Sanskaar leaned against the car bonnet. Lakshya and his Mom, he understood their purpose. But this girl had no business with him. Before he wondered about the why, she extended the invitation. “Come in. The ceremony is not over yet.”

“Excuse me,” Sanskaar couldn't place the casual request out of the blue.

“I caught two people already. I mean, I saw two people sneaking out to meet you. You might as well come in and meet everybody. I am sure others would not mind having you there.”

Sanskaar laughed without humour. He could imagine who all would mind having him there. Intrigued by the girl's manner, he asked, “Who are you?”

“I am Swara Bose. I am Ragini's friend and neighbour. She is getting engaged to your cousin Lakshya.”

“Hi, Swara. So kind of you to invite me in. I am Sanskaar. Lakshya is my cousin. The lady who just met me is my mother. I am sorry that you had to catch them, I mean, see them sneak out, but I promise it's just the two of them. Others would be very happy knowing I am nowhere around them. And, let's keep it that way, shall we?”

“I came to invite you in and you are showing your attitude.” Swara huffed and crossed her arms.

“Not attitude. Concern. If you want your friend's engagement to happen without fireworks, I shouldn't be there. Anyway, I am leaving. I have places to be just like you have to be there for your friend.” Before he sat in his car, he told her, “Thanks, Swara for inviting me. I really mean it.” With that, he drove off.

From the rear view mirror, he still saw Swara standing on the street until he turned left to the major road.

“It would be interesting to see you again, Ms Bose,” he said to himself.

Two days later, he met her again. Sanskaar had made it a habit to gift his Mom something everytime he achieved something important. To Sujata Maheshwari, there was only one thing after her children - the gold jewellery. So Sanskaar had visited his regular shop and went straight to his trusted expert, Sharmishta. Whatever she had recommended till date, his Mom loved them.

As Sharmishta was getting off her shift, he offered her a lift home and to pick up her daughter on the way. Just as the luck would have its way, that daughter was none other than Swara. After the brief introductions, Sanskaar returned Swara's favour. “I couldn't accept your invite the other day, but I hope you wouldn't turn down mine. I am hosting a party tonight. It would be great if you and Sharmishta aunty could attend.”

Sharmishta turned down saying it would be uncomfortable for her but suggested Swara to attend.

Swara turned down as he expected. “I know no one and I don't attend parties where I know no one.”

“You could bring Ragini along,” he suggested.

Sharmishta too liked the idea and supported it.

Swara finally relented, “Fine. If Ragini agrees, we will come.”