1. Swara

The courtyard walls were dotted with fresh flowers. Every door, every window, every arc was lined with the sparkling lights. The occasion was so special that Swara Bose who normally preferred simple top and skirt dressed up in an yellow net lehenga.

Swara lived in a Baadi, a low cost two-storey high apartment complex. The houses were arranged next to each other in a compact manner with a single courtyard to share. When such events happened, it was rare that everyone in the Baadi didn't know about it. The neighbours lived like one single family participating in each other's functions and sharing joy and sorrow in equal parts.

Except for the Bose and Gadodia family. To Swara, it seemed like a war that would never see its end. Since her childhood, she watched her grandmother Shobha Bose, Dida she called her fondly, quarrel with Parvati Gadodia who lived in the house opposite theirs. The reason could be big and small, and often with no reason but both were in the line of sight. They would hurl abuses at each other, wishing nothing but bad luck on the other household and their favourite argument of cultural difference would be on the agenda. Following the hour long quarrel, the cold war would follow follow for a couple of days until they found a new issue to restart the fight.

The animosity, however, did not hinder Swara from befriending the only daughter of the Gadodia family, Ragini. She was a few months younger than her which made the chord easier to connect. Their similarities extended from age to their interest in music, raised by single parent, and failure to understand the enmity their grandmothers shared. They also had one major difference; it was as hard for Swara to shut up as for Ragini to speak up.

It was exactly why Swara was worried about the engagement ceremony set to happen in the courtyard. The alliance happened without even asking Ragini if she wanted to be married. She was only told, “Get ready. You are getting engaged tomorrow.” She had no idea about the family or the boy.

Swara tried Ragini's number for the third time as she pleated her odhni. Frustrated by nil response, she threw the odhni on her shoulder and ran across the balcony. Her hair was only half dried, she wore only one jhumka, the other digging into her hand; she didn't care. She wanted to drill some sense into Ragini before she made the commitment.

The groom's family arrived. Swara was watching the welcome they received when Ragini patted her shoulder. “Swara, why were you calling? Dadi was right there with me.”

Ragini was dressed in a heavily embroidered orange lehenga with matching jewellery, perfectly in place in stark contrast to Swara's haphazard attempt.

“Ragini, are you serious? You are sure you want to get engaged? You don't even know who that guy is, what are his likes and dislikes, anything at all. How can you decide blindly?”

“Calm down, Swara. I am not deciding anything. My Dadi has decided. She is aware of all tehse aspects and must have chosen a suitable person only as my life partner. Why are you getting worked up unnecessarily?”

Swara was not convinced. She watched the families gathering downstairs and tried to spot the groom. She was unable to see his face.

Ragini dragged her attention back. “Come on. I want my best friend to enjoy this day, not get worked up. Shall I help you pin your odhni?”

“It's okay, Ragini. I will do it.”

Swara was able to see the face of the groom then. It was Lakshya Maheshwari, the nonsensical brat she met at her friend's party. He had poured wine on her cream skirt and didn't even offer an apology as formality. She had to alert Ragini, but she left at her Dadi's call.

Swara's eyes followed Lakshya as he squirmed in his seat looking around uncomfortably. Swara laughed to herself, ‘Richie Rich is not used to such environment.’ Instead of going down for the ceremony, Swara decided to have the helicopter view from the balcony. The rings were exchanged, the families congratulated each other and Ragini and Lakshya hardly spoke a word to each other.

After a while, Lakshya was sneaking out. Swara ran down and stopped him at the entrance. “Where do you think you are going?”

“I knew it. You will not be happy until some drama happens here, right? Just like you did at that party.”

“Wow, you remember. So tell me, what are you planning to do? The ceremony is not over yet. Your whole family is still there and you are looking for an exit.”

“I need to go out and meet someone. Now, I have answered you. Let me go.”

“No way. What's the guarantee you are not running away?”

“Oh, you are the security guard here. Nice. Do one thing. Come with me. I have to meet my cousin right now.”

They went out together and found a white car waiting at the end of the street. A man got down from the car in jeans and blue blazer. Must be his cousin, Swara thought.

The two men hugged each other like they were meeting after long time. Swara never expected to see this side of Lakshya.

“Your five minutes are up!” She hollered from where she was standing, a few feet away.

Lakshya pursed his lips. “Swara, please. Not now. Do you know after how long we are meeting?”

The new guy, however, agreed with Swara. “It's okay, Lucky. You should go in before someone notices you are missing.” He nodded at Swara in a customary greeting and returned to his car.

Lakshya was not pleased with the short meet. He muttered under his breath, “Wish I could have talked to him a little longer.”

Swara asked hesitantly, “Who was that?”

“My cousin, Sanskaar. He is Uttara's brother but he is the closest family member for me.” Swara simply noted the response, wondering who Uttara was.

As Swara started to climb the stairs to resume her position in the balcony, she heard a whisper, “Uttara, I will come back in a while. Call me if anyone is looking for me.”

The lady was Lakshya's aunt, if she remembered the introductions correctly. Swara, out of her curiosity, followed her out to see the lady meeting Sanskaar.

Swara couldn't help but think why these people have to meet him by sneaking away. ‘Why not just invite him here?’