43: The True Face of Vanity

"So at last the Mirrorbender shows herself," hissed Vanity's voice

"So at last the Mirrorbender shows herself," hissed Vanity's voice. I was still not used to seeing Vanessa's once adorable face on that of a monster like Vanity. The Half-Life's sharp teeth glinted in the light as she spoke.

"Let go of my friend!" I cried from above.

"Or what? You will run away again?" Vanity squeezed Zeno's neck tighter. He tried to push her hand away, but she only increased her grip. Zeno began to choke.

"Stop!" I pleaded. "You're hurting him."

"Stop, you're hurting him," mocked Vanity.

"Stop, or I will destroy this." I held up the mirror.

"So you discovered my little secret, how clever. And to think I figured you had nothing in that empty head of yours." Vanity released Zeno. He fell forward gasping for air.

"Zeno are you alright?" I cried.

"I was just a little choked up after seeing you, that's all. I thought you would never come." He gave me a thumbs up. "How's the ankle?"

"It's good," I replied.

"Hello?" interrupted Vanity. "I'm still here you know."

"I haven't forgotten about you," I said.

"Good." Vanity motioned to one of her Shadows. "Apprehend the tailor." A Shadow came up behind and snatched Zeno's arms.

"Hey watch the coat, buddy," said Zeno to the Shadow. "It's one of a kind." Vanity turned to me.

"Now that you have my attention, I am curious to know what you are planning to do next."

"You are going to let us leave this town. All of us, Zeno, the Portly Brothers, Owen, me, Hijinx, the gargoyles. Everyone that you have trapped here."

"No wonder you were able to get my mirror with all those beasts backing you up. And here I thought you did it all on your lonesome. Pitiful."

"You're the pitiful one here. Stealing girls beauty, trapping and turning innocent people into Shadows, removing precious memories. You should be ashamed."

"But I am not ashamed. So is the nature of a Half-Life."

"Then you leave me with no choice. I will destroy your mirror and you along with it."

"Go ahead," said Vanity calmly. "Break it if you can." I slammed the mirror on the ground. The frame broke but the glass remained unscathed. I tried again, nothing. I picked it up once more and forcefully banged it against the stair's metal railing. The mirror would not break. Vanity's hollering laughter increased at each failed attempt.

"Why isn't it breaking?" I whispered feeling frustrated. I stomped it with my foot. "What am I doing wrong. I've never had this much trouble breaking a mirror."