41: Door Knockers and Gargoyles

Vanity appeared at the mansion's iron gate. Her black dress and cloak swayed in the misty wind. Behind her stood hundreds of Shadows, all waiting for their mistress to command them. She raised her arm and squeezed her hand. The iron gate bent and crumbled to the ground.

"Onward to the mansion."

In the mansion, Hijinx appeared to have assumed control. He explained everyone his plan of attack when Vanity arrived. They all thought it was brilliant especially one coming from a purple cat.

"So we all know what we have to do?" asked Hijinx with a flick of his fluffy tail.

"Yes," said the group together.

"Good," said Hijinx. "We only have a short while before Vanity gets here. We must stall her for as long as possible. I will leave that up to you four. Hope and I will search the mansion for the mirror. Is that clear?"

"Yes," said the group.

"I will start hauling these dresses downstairs," said Zeno rushing into Vanity's closet. "Owen help me out here."

"While chu two do that. We will keep watch for Vanity!" cried the Portly Brothers as they split off downstairs.

"Good," said Hijinx. "It seems we all know what we are doing."

I turned to Hijinx.

"You certainly are a smart cat," I said impressed.

"Never underestimate a feline." Hijinx lifted a paw at my mirror. "Now get your mirror ready and let's start searching. There has to be a door hidden around here somewhere."

As Owen and Zeno moved back and forth carrying piles of dresses to the foyer, Hijinx and I started down the hall checking each nook and cranny for something strange to appear in my small mirror. So far the only abnormal thing about the mansion was the fact that it was in worse shape than Vanity made it appear in her illusion. Within the mirror, I could see the beautifully painted walls and the shiny floor were just covers for the mansion's true dilapidated reality. Peeling walls, rotten floorboards, and broken windows and doors made up most of the second floor structure. Hijinx said I should look for a hidden door most likely in the wall somewhere, but I could find none.

"From what I can see, Hijinx," I said glancing around, "this whole place looks ready to fall apart. It's ancient."

"Just keep looking. You don't see anything strange?"

"No, just more of the same stuff." I paused. I could see a smudge on the wall much like a large water stain. "Wait! I see something." I walked up to the wall. It felt cold and wet. Hijinx pressed his little nose against the base of the wall.

"I can almost feel a cold breeze coming from underneath. I think you found it."

"How do we get in."

"Just turn the doorknob."

"There is no doorknob," I said looking down at the cat.

"Look again." Sure enough a golden knob with a laughing face was sticking out of the wall right where nothing had been before.

"But how did that get there?" I asked. "I swear it was not there a moment ago."

"I did say you were powerful," said Hijinx with a smile. "Simply acknowledging the doorknob's nonexistence forced it to appear. You must learn that magic is a power of will and desire. At times it even has a mind of its own and in this case a sense of humor." Hijinx turned his gaze to the doorknob and the humorous face upon it. "So are you going to stare at it all day, or find out what's on the other side."