Take the Bat and Swing at That

Claire looks at the number four floor number sign by the door. "Up, down and back up. Look just ten more to go!" She whispers while breathing heavily.

"Are you ok?" Derek whispers.

She grabs the railing and looks back at him. "Yeah, I'm fine." She forces a smile.

"I mean it's been a tough day and I'm really struggling to go up these steps, but you're looking pretty tired. Sure you don't want to rest?" Sarah steps closer to her.

"Don't worry about it. I'm really hungry and tired, but once we get to the roof I can rest." Claire continues to walk up the stairs.

Derek begins to climb the steps after her, but stops when Sarah places a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, do you think she's actually ok? She's not looking too good." She whispers into his ear. Her eyes heavy with concern as she stares intently at him.

He looks at Claire.

Breathing heavily and struggling to climb up the steps, she's plodding somewhat uneasily with shaky legs. Her white tank top is translucent with sweat and clinging to her skin. The temperature in the stairwell isn't pleasant, but she's perspiring more than normal.

Turning back to look at Sarah, he shakes his head and sighs. "I don't know. I've been a little worried—," he stops himself when he notices a change in Sarah's features.

What appears to be the feeling of suspicion and anxiety is laced within the worried look in her eyes. Her hands are clasped tightly together and fidgeting with one of the buttons on her beige cardigan.

He smiles nervously at her. "It's been a pretty long day for all of us and it's not over yet. She's swung that tire iron more times than Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak. That's something that would wear anyone out. It might be nothing serious. After a day like this we're bound to be a little sensitive and paranoid about things."

Sarah blinks up at him. "Hmm, I guess you're right." She nods before they continue to ascend.

He mutters to himself. "It's not like she's puking her guts out or anything. If that happens, then I'll really start to worry."

When they reach the tenth floor, the stairwell door suddenly opens.

A screaming woman holds the door with a bloody hand. Smearing a red trail over it as she shakes. Her brown bloodshot eyes pool with tears with mascara streaks lining her cheeks.

"Help me!" She screams and reaches out for Claire.

"Your shoulder!" Sarah points to the woman's wounded shoulder where blood travels down her arm. Several teeth marks line the open area.

She desperately pleads with the group. "Please!" Two pairs of arms reach out for her from behind. "No!" She grasps Claire's arm.

Claire hits one of the zombies on the head. Derek and Sarah try to help remove the second one, but they notice another zombie appearing.

"Her screaming is attracting more of them! We have to get out of here!" Claire says.

"No! Please, you gotta help me!" The woman pleads.