Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            “What?!” Chloe and Alisa exclaim at the same time. They already knew the story.

            5 years ago, when I was 12, I went to London with my friend Laura for summer vacation. While we were there, I met this guy named David in a coffee shop. He was 16 at the time. He was friendly and nice, and became friends. But for some reason, David thought we were in a ‘relationship’. He wouldn’t stop texting and calling me, and he even found out where Laura and I were staying. He had this delusion that we were madly in love, but Laura was keeping us from being together. One night, David snapped. He came to our hotel and kidnapped Laura. We called the police, but they couldn’t find David or Laura.

            Finally, after a few weeks, David came back for me, but I refused him. The police came before David could do anything, and he was arrested. He refused to tell anyone where Laura was, though, and after months of searching, the police gave up.

            But David should be in prison. He was given a life sentence. How did he get out without anyone notifying us?

            “Then how is David here?” Chloe asks. I shrug.

            “I don’t know. He must’ve escaped prison or something, I don’t know. Ugh, why did this have to happen to me? I wish I had never gone to London…”

            “Well, we can’t change the past now.” Alisa says.

            “Let’s find some shelter so we can hide from David when he wakes up.” Chloe and I nod. We slow down a little so we can look around for shelter. I look for a cave, an old house, anything, but I don’t see anything. As the minutes tick down, I get more and more tired. It is like 3 in the morning, after all.

            Suddenly, Alisa slips on a rock and falls. Chloe and I rush over to her to make sure she’s alright.

            “Are you alright?” I ask. Alisa groans in response.

            “Juliette, Alisa’s leg is bleeding pretty heavily.” Chloe says urgently.

            “We need to find shelter now.”

            “But where?” I ask. We both look around frantically for somewhere to go. I notice a small opening in the trunk of a nearby tree and walk towards it. I brush the leaves and grass aside to reveal a small cave.

            “Chloe look over here!” I say.

            “It’s a cave! We should all be able to fit in here!”

            “Oh, thank God! Alisa, can you walk?”

            “I should be able to walk with a little bit of support.” Chloe and I half walk half drag Alisa to the hole and ease her in slowly.

            “Alisa, will we all fit?” I ask into the darkness.

            “It’s a little small, but we it’ll work for now.” She calls after a few seconds of silence. Chloe and I pile in the cave and I cover the entrance with leaves and such. Chloe starts to rip her shirt sleeve off and wrap it around Alisa’s leg.

            “It’s all we can do for now,” Chloe says, “but this is better than nothing.” I suddenly remember I have my phone in my pocket. I take it out of my pocket and turn it on.