His rumbling laugh warmed her heart, but it dropped to her stomach as he lock the bathroom door behind him and pocketed the key. «There's no way in hell you're getting away with this. I shall show you no mercy.» he said right before he dumped her into the bathtub still full with the water he had bathed in earlier, water sprayed across the floor.

——————————————————

He grabbed the vial of dyed soap, pushed Aelin back in the tub when she tried to scramble out, then climbed in himself to pin her down. Pink! Of all the colours she could have chosen, and she chose rutting hot pink.

He grabbed the pitcher filled with cold water and poured it over her head, making her shriek so loudly his ears hurt. But it was worth it, she was going to pay for this. Now that her hair was wet he set about rubbing in the dye, while she squirmed and cursed at him the entire time.

Finally when he satisfied with his handiwork, he poured another pitcher of cold water over her head to wash away any excess dye. A long list of foul curses poured out of her mouth, but he just laughed and climbed out of the tub. Sweet revenge.

She too climbed out of the tub, and hurried towards the mirror. He crossed his arms and watched in satisfaction as she gaped at her own reflection, her sodden clothes dripping water all over the floor.

Steam rose up around her as she used her magic to dry herself. She lifted her hair, and twisted and turned in front of the mirror with a frown on her face. But if he had to admit it, she actually looked damn good with pink hair.

She stalked towards him, crossed her arms and pursed her lips. But he could see that she tried to hide her smile. «My clothes are ruined.» she said and tried to glare at him, but her lips tugged up in a smile.

«You deserved it.» he said and smiled wickedly. Then he pulled her close to him, and tipped her head back. «Don't ever do that again.»

She just smiled sheepishly at him. «With such a long life ahead of us I cannot promise you that.» she said and winked at him, and his heart skipped a beat at that. A thousand years with her, if they survive the war. «I have to say that this colour really suits me, don't you agree?» he fought back a laugh as he shook his head at her.

«You're a menace.» he grumbled. «But yes, you look absolutely ravishing, Fireheart.»

——————————————————

«She stopped shrieking.» Dorian noted. He and Sam had tracked after Aelin and Rowan, hoping to glean what fate has befallen their goofy, reckless friend.

Light footsteps approached and they both backed away from the door. Out came Aelin, and it only took the boys a second to survey what had happened until they both burst out laughing. Aelin crossed her arms and frowned at them both. «He got me.» she said and pursed her lips, but then she was laughing with them.

——————————————————

The sun had gone down by the time Nox and Elide managed to find the warehouse. The address had been listed in the letter, but neither of them had ever been to Rifthold. But after hours of walking and asking for directions, they had finally found it.

They stood in an alley across from the building, trying to see if there were anyone in the warehouse at all. But it looked abandoned.

«Stay here, I'll take a closer look.» Nox said, and made his way towards the building. He knocked twice on the door, waited a few seconds, then knocked once. Like the letter had instructed. Silence followed, then the door was pulled open and a large hooded warrior motioned him inside.

Ignoring his fluttering nerves he stepped inside. He was met by five individuals, four of which were heavily hooded. The fifth person was a white haired woman with golden eyes that seemed to glow in the dark.

«Where's the girl?» the white haired on asked.

«I need to know who I'm giving her to, before I deliver.» Nox said firmly, if someone had posed as the princess to have him kidnap Lady Elide, then he would not hand her over. The white woman hissed at him, but on of the cloaked figures held up a hand to silence her.

«That's perfectly reasonable. This here is Ren Allsbrook» the girl said, a young girl from what he could hear. She motioned to one of the hooded men, who wearing twin swords on his back. Allsbrook, one of the noble families. «This is Manon Crochan and Sam Cortland. The male who let you in is Rowan Whitethorn.» the took a few steps closer. «I am Aelin Ashryver Galathynius.»

«Show me your eyes, then.» he said, Elide had told him how to recognize the queen, by her eye colour inherited from the Ashryver bloodline.

The girl smirked and pulled of her hood. And he blinked, once then twice at the bright pink colour of the girls hair. The girl chuckled at his flustered expression. «The hair has a perfectly good explanation.» she said and cut a playful glare at the big warrior, who who just smirked at her. «Well, are you bringing Lady Elide inside or not?»

He glanced at her eyes and saw that they were indeed blue with a golden ring. He nodded and headed for the door, opened it just a crack and gave the signal they had agreed to. He saw her hurry over, and quickly slipped inside.

He watched as Elide and Aelin embraced each other, and he could hear the Aelin whispered something but he was not close enough to hear the words. The girls split apart and Elide greeted the rest of the gang, and also embraced Ren.

Aelin approached him where he stood a bit away from the group. «Thank you, Nox, for bringing her here safely.»

«She is the Lady of my home, it was my pleasure to help her.» he said.

«What would you say to another mission?» She asked, looking him straight in the eyes.

«I... Your Highness, are you sure you want me to work for you. I mean, I'm a thief, wouldn't that, uhm, tarnish your reputation?» he swallowed hard. He didn't know what to say. The Queen chuckled.

«I think us working together will be the least scandalous thing I've ever done. The mission is a long one, I need you to get inside the keep in Morath. Disguised as a servant, I need you to learn the layout of the keep. It will be detrimental to winning this war. So, Nox Owen, Master Thief of Perranth, will you go on this mission for me?»

He didn't know what to do. Should he bow, or kneel maybe, or just a nod. He didn't even know if he should call her 'Majesty' or 'Highness'. Well, he had already called her 'Highness' once, he should probably stick to that. Her gaze never wavered from his, waiting for an answer. Again he swallowed hard. «Yes, Your Highness, it would be an honour to serve the crown in such a way.» he said, trying to sound official and formal. She grinned broadly at him.

«Perfect, now we've just got to tell you all about the oncoming conflict so that you will be ready for Morath. You have five months to get in and learn the layout of the keep.» she said.

The following day was filled with preparations for all of their journeys. Soon they would depart to their respective corners of their world, and it would be months until they would see each other again. And then the real war would begin.