CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: Snap

Magsimula sa umpisa

Nagbulung-bulungan na naman ang mga estudyante sa paligid namin. Some mumbled the word "resignation," which was accurate.

"This week has been the most challenging since I assumed the presidency," Agnes continued. "I never thought that this day will come. The day where my reputation would be questioned by an unfounded rumor."

Bruce caressed her back as she took a minute to pause.

"I have no idea what I did to deserve this treatment," Agnes slowly shook her head, her eyes welling up with tears. "I only wanted the best for the student body, for our school. Our efforts were unappreciated and our names were being put to a disgrace by God knows who."

Wala naman siyang nagawang mali. Nataon lang na siya ang nakaupo at kinailangan siyang patalsikin sa puwesto ng mga ganid sa kapangyarihan.

"Ilang gabi rin akong hindi nakatulog," Agnes shared. "May ilan siguro sa inyong nagtataka, kung 'di pala totoo, bakit namin pinoproblema? Ang hirap kasi na madungisan ang aming pangalan sa bagay na hindi naman ginawa o magagawa. At aminin n'yo man o sa hindi, may ilan sa inyong naniwala sa tsismis."

Napayuko ang ilan sa mga katabi namin, malamang karamihan sa kanila ay guilty.

"Bruce and I are in a relationship, that I admit," Agnes said. "But never will we consider doing the act being alleged on us. We respect the office of the student council so much. Lucky for me, I have him on my side. We managed to survive the mudslinging."

"But I cannot let our sacred office to be under siege," Agnes cleared her throat. "We called for this emergency assembly to announce to our constituents that I, Agnes Aguinaldo, am officially resigning the office of president, effective immediately."

"And I, Bruce Bonifacio, am also resigning as the vice president of your student council," Bruce shared the microphone with his girlfriend.

"We have already submitted our irrevocable resignation to the Office of Student of Affairs."

Everyone around us gasped, as if they did not anticipate this happening.

"But make no mistake," Agnes warned. "Our resignation isn't an admission of guilt. Bruce and I have decided to step aside with dignity and protect the student council from the further embarrassment which we never intended to cause."

Tumayo sa gitna ng stage sina Agnes at Bruce, at sabay na yumuko. They went down the steps, greeted by their fellow student council officers. Niyakap silang dalawa ng OSA director bago ito umakyat sa entablado at tumayo bago ang lectern.

"This is an unprecedented scenario," OSA director spoke. "Not once have the positions of president and VP become vacant at the same time. Since the Constitution and By-Laws is silent on this matter, I'd like to call all the class and club officers and consult you on how we can sort out this problem. As for the rest of the students, you may now return to your classes."

Nakapilang lumabas ang mga estudyante ng school gymnasium. Kung dati'y nakikipag-unahan ako sa paglabas, ngayo'y sinadya kong magpaiwan. The emergency meeting called by the OSA director would be a crucial turning point on the history of Clark High. My sister must have honed her acting skills because she looked sad about the recent developments. Sa loob-loob niya, tiyak na humahalakhak na siya dahil umayon ang lahat sa kanyang plano. Just as planned, she would mumble.

Sa gitna ng mga nagsisialisang estudyante, natanaw namin sa 'di kalayuan si Charlotte, dala-dala pa rin ang kanyang camera na nagmistulan nang bling-bling. Huminto siya sa tapat namin at ipinakit ang text message na naka-flash sa kanyang phone. Nakasaad doon na pinapatawag ang lahat ng officers. Dahil tatatlo lang kami sa QED Club, we are automatically invited to the party.