Chapter Sixteen

Aphmau's POV

Zane is over again for the millionth time this past week, pacing back and forth in the living room. From his body language, I can tell he's worried and trying to conceal some type of rage, as usual, but this time, I feel it's directed towards someone specifically.

"Zane, calm down. Everything's fine," I try to reassure him but he doesn't stop his pacing.

"Yeah. Didn't Garroth say not to worry and that he'll come back?" Aaron adds from beside me on the couch.

"That doesn't change the fact that he left without telling me," he grumbles as Kawaii~Chan comes into the room, holding a freshly baked plate of cookies.

"Garroth is fine, Zane." She places the plate on the coffee table. "Don't worry so much. He can take care of himself."

"Yeah, but-"

"How about you call Vylad?" I suggest. "Maybe he knows something. Garroth and Vylad are super close."

Zane stops his pacing and looks at his phone in his hands: "I guess it wouldn't hurt."

"Put it on speaker," Aaron says and Zane nods, pressing Vylad's contact and we all hear it ring before it's picked up.

"Hey, Vylad," Zane starts. "There's something I need to tell you about Gar--"

There's a noise that sounds like laughter that comes from the phone and Zane immediately stops talking. The voice sounds extremely familiar, but I can't really put my finger on it.

"That sounds like dad..." he mumbles.

"And here I am thinking you just were kind enough to let me see my family."

"Welp, we found Garroth," Aaron says, recognizing his voice instantly.

"Thank Irene."

"Shh!" Zane shushes us loudly as another voice emerges.

"Nah, I'm just cheap."

"...Laurance..." I utter in disbelief. I haven't heard his voice in years so I nearly didn't even recognize it.

"Sure." Vylad's voice now. "Says the guy who paid for two tickets for the way-too-overpriced fair yesterday."

"So, they're at your parents' house?" Aaron says.

"At least we know they're safe."

"I knew it," Zane growls through gritted teeth, ending the call. Aaron and I glance warily at each other, knowing that he is possibly about to explode.

"Knew what, Zane?" I ask him.

"That damn Laurance." He drops his phone onto the coffee table and glares in our direction. "I knew that brat had something to do with this. I swear, the next time I see him he's gonna have every bone in his feeble little body broken."

Garroth's POV

"Okay, do you prefer the busier part of a city, or more quiet?"

I look away from my laptop and up at Laurance on the bed. We're hanging out in his room today, both on separate computers. I chose to sit on the floor, against the bed, while Laurance is actually on the bed.

"What?" I ask and he glances down.

"Y'know, where our apartment is gonna be. I'm just getting your opinion."