Mother - Jeff

The sun was starting to rise, and me and Toby knew that we needed to leave. Police would find the bodies in the house eventually, so we couldn't go back. "C-can we check on my mom?" Toby asked me. "I just want to know that she's alright." I knew it would probably be risky. It hadn't been long since the fire, but I agreed to it anyway. I couldn't say no to him. I just couldn't.
     Luckily, it wasn't for from where we we're. We walked until we got to the charred trees, with the smell of smoke still in the air, despite being put out. Most of the grass was dry and dead, and some trees had collapsed. "Oh shit," Toby muttered. "I did this." He started sprinting, and I easily caught up with him. We ran until we got to a clearing and saw a lonely house. I saw Toby start to tic, just a bit, but enough to be noticed. His pace slowed as he stalked closer and closer to the window, before peeking in. I didn't follow him. It honestly wasn't my business. Whatever he saw though, it was enough to cause Toby to come back in tears.
     "She needs to know I'm okay," he said, his voice quiet and weak. "What is it?" I asked. "She has to know!" He yelled, before running off. My curiousity got the better of me. I looked inside the window. His mom was sitting on the couch, bawling her eyes out. I had hurt people, killed people, but I had never seen someone in this much pain. Or maybe I had. When Liu took the blame for me, and said he was the one who attacked the kids at school, mom did this every day until he got back. She was always so worried about him. I had to calm her down so many times. Seeing Toby's mom, I wanted to comfort her too. She had lost everyone, her daughter, her husband, her son. She didn't deserve that. I've never met her, but Toby cares about her, so she must be a good woman. I looked back to where the brown haired boy had ran and started to run after him.