For now his face is still youthful so he hasn't fully developed into a man yet. At 17, he still looks fresh but this won't last more than another two years. No wonder Father wants to marry him off. It's now or never to get rid of this useless son. Tian Yi has been completely made over to look like a gorgeous woman. With his hair up and framing his face, it contrasts gorgeously with his skin. They outlined his eyes with black kohl to make his eyes pop. They used powder to further soften his jawline and they dressed him in a gorgeous red robe embroidered with butterflies at the hem, they almost looked alive. Being a growing man his height was still higher than an average woman so it made him look tall and flexible, swaying in the breeze. It all added to the allure, and the maidservants and attendants couldn't tear their eyes away. But hearing the morning bell, they rushed Tian Yi into a carriage preparing him to travel to the palace. The concubine selection begins at noon.

Tian Yi sat in the carriage calmly with no fear of being sent to the unknown and this gave the servants a better impression of him. Not that he noticed. Tian Yi asked Ni Ni to monitor the Crown Prince and report his every activity. While Ni Ni was busy with her task, Tian Yi had nothing but time to think and his mind always went back to the memories replaying like a movie in his mind. Even now the only thing he could feel was the throb and other than that there was nothing. There was a little anticipation and hope but everything else was dead. He still couldn't smile, or laugh or cry or rage. It was just empty. Ni Ni had asked him why he was lying to himself, but rather than lying to himself he had locked himself into a cage. Everything he had been able to feel was locked away somewhere and he couldn't find the key. Yixuan opened the cage and released the emotions, becoming the key. But as time passes and Yixuan just becomes a memory the feelings are starting to fade too. This hopefulness and anticipation is faint, grower fainter by the second. Maybe by the time he reaches the palace it will be gone. The throb had been the first emotion to disappear but now it is back. Maybe the Crown Prince will bring the others back too.

The carriage jolts to a stop and Tian Yi is helped out of the carriage. He steps out onto a carefully maintained garden and looks around. They are in a maze of flower hedges, only someone who has often been to the palace would know their way around. A palace attendant comes to receive him and he bows in gratitude. Tian Yi is led to an open field which is filled with beautiful ladies of noble birth vying to be the Crown Prince's consort. A feeling of pity rises in his heart before it fades away. He realizes it is because these young women are all competing to live a life where they will share their man with hundreds of other women. They will have to maintain their appearance until they die just to keep their status and fight for their husband's favor. This era is not kind to women. Then that thought fades and he feels nothing in the knowledge that he too is here to fight for a man who might never be faithful to him.

Everyone hears a loud voice as a palace courtier is sent to gather the women. It can be seen how important this event is just from the fact that a courtier has taken charge. Tian Yi walks along with hundreds of women into a great hall. Women throw dirty looks at Tian Yi and turn their faces away when he approaches. This might be their approach to snub him, but it only works if he cares. He stands there quietly and being alienated just makes him seem ethereal and otherworldly. The Crown Prince sits at the throne ahead of them but he looks bored and preoccupied.

Ni Ni returns and snorts at his attitude. What a dick, these women's lives are in your hands and you couldn't care less. Of course Ni Ni might change her mind if this man turns out to be her host's lover. Her host's lover should never have anyone on his mind other than her host.

The Crown Prince finally looks up after the courtier clears his throat at observes the beauties. He gives them all a rakish smile and many women almost swoon. The Crown Prince is a very handsome man. Being a part of the Song Royal Family they all have attractive genetics. His name is Song Feixiang and he is the first born son between his Father and the Empress. Being spoiled for most of his life he just ended up trying to find things that would alleviate his boredom. He would chase anything that caught his attention and once he was tired he would throw it away.

Currently Song Feixiang is fascinated by a beauty he met the night before. Her visage is imprinted deeply in his mind and he wants to meet her. There's something about her that just attracts him, and he wants to know more, see more, be in her presence. He has never felt this desire before. It's much stronger than his passing fascinations and he has the desire to possess her. While he's planning a way to find her, he hears the courtier clear his throat. This concubine selection is a waste of his time. He never touches them anyways. He may play with women by throwing flirtatious glances or smiles, he never touches them. There's just something that feels wrong about it. He sighs and looks up wanting to get this over with. He surveys the crowd of beautiful women. They are all definitely beauties but they just don't catch his interest, but then he sees one. Standing aloof from the others, in a gorgeous red robe with wisps of hair framing her porcelain face. He would notice her anywhere. Her eyes just jump out at him, the disinterested look and the expressionless face, it was her. He found her...