The Maze

Chapter 14

The Maze

The roar of music and cheers bombarded Ichigo the moment he entered the stands. There was a chill in the air that bit and nipped at his skin. The shinigami's hair stood on end as the trepidation he felt increased tenfold. He couldn't help reaching for the hilt of Zangetsu, the safety of its presence calming him considerably. Despite not being well, Ichigo decided to dress for the occasion. Instead of the kimonos that filled his wardrobe as of late, he wore light brown slacks and a maroon sweater, with Zangetsu proudly on display against his hip. With such unforeseeable events about to unfold, there was no way Ichigo was going to be without his blade.

Winky noticed her master's distress and pulled him along to gather with the other professors. He took notice of Fleur and Harry standing by their respective sponsors. Ichigo eyed Moody like his life depended on it, and it very well could have, but quickly turned away when he heard someone approach.

"Ichigo, what are you doing here?"

"My job, Albus." Ichigo sighed. He knew this confrontation was inevitable, but that still didn't mean he wanted it to happen.

"But Lo- Ichigo, it's just, you're not well!" Ichigo could tell the man was just as agitated as he was. "You should be resting."

"Albus, you summoned me here for a reason, and I'm not going to go back on my word. I'm going to protect Harry Potter from anything that threatens his fate. He is going to face Voldemort, that much I can not change, but I will not let it be by anyone's hand other than his own."

He took a deep breath to calm himself. "And once this is all over and done with, no matter the outcome, you will seal me away again."

Despite the noise erupting in the air, the silence between them was deafening. Ichigo stared into the man's eyes, past his crescent-moon glasses, and straight into his soul. If Ichigo was going to be awake at any period in time, he was glad it was when he could meet this man, and Harry Potter, and Fleur. What would he tell Fleur when they fixed his soul back onto that cross? What would she say? She'd object, surely, but he'd cross that bridge when he got there.

If they survived this, that is.

Dumbledore was pulled away by the beginning of the event. He called out his speech, one that Ichigo barely listened to. His eyes were drawn back to Moody as he stood by Harry's side. When had they become so distant that Harry had Moody by his side instead of himself? When had Harry begun to see the Moody imposter more dependable than he?

"It was probably when ya broke the great hall."

'You're not helping... how are you feeling?'

"Off. There's something pulling me to that maze, and I don't like it."

The sound of cannon fire made him jump. Ichigo watched as Harry's back disappeared into the puzzle as well as Fleur's a few minutes later. If he was feeling anxious before, he had no idea what was going on inside his chest at that moment. His own back remained tense and his hand ready to grab Zangetsu at any moment. The cheers from earlier have dissipated into normal chatter as they waited for news on the champions.

Within minutes he heard the sound of hedges moving and readjusting, creating the ultimate puzzle. His eyes caught Moody's figure again as he watched the man chug another gulp of polyjuice. Who was the man behind the glass eye? Foe, surely. Ichigo wondered what the man had done to the maze, what he had done to alter Harry's fate. The shinigami knew he had done something, the man's hands were twitching and his tongue continued to dart across his upper lip. Ichigo's head tilted to the side in thought; he had seen that before, but where?