At Sea

Chapter 13

At Sea

"Come in," Ichigo called out. The door opened and Ichigo looked up when the familiar aroma of Dobby's handywork wafted throughout his chambers.

Winky's form appeared from behind the door, a tray of food for her master in her arms. The silver tray held a simple meal complete with soup and bread. The smell alone was enough to make his mouth water and an embarrassing growl remind him how long it had been since he'd eaten last. Winky, bless her, was doing all she could to get him to eat, but there were times where he simply wasn't hungry.

"Sir, Winky has brought food. You must eat to get well." Winky agreed with herself with a nod, setting the tray across Ichigo's lap. Saying thanks for both the meal and Winky's help, Ichigo tucked into the meal slowly. The earlier peak of hunger had diminished upon coming face to face with the meal. He took his first few bites enthusiastically, making sure to grab some bread to qualm Winky's worries. She seemed satisfied with his reaction and returned to folding the clothes she had just washed, many of which Ichigo had gifted her. Ichigo was unaware of the meaning of such a gesture, but Winky smiled and accepted the clothing regardless.

Ichigo managed to finish half of the food before he sat it aside on his nightstand, unable to look at it any longer. Thankfully, his companion didn't seem to notice and continued on with her work. The third task was only a week away, and he was worried he wouldn't be well enough to be of any use. Just thinking of the task, even though he was unaware of what it was, created a deep pit of anxiousness in his gut that took hours to diminish. Ichigo meant to speak with Dumbledore, but after his last attack, the man was reluctant to let him anywhere near the tournament.

Ichigo needed some fresh air.

"Winky, I think we should go for a walk. What do you think?" The young elf turned and watched her master leave his bed in favor of the outfit she had laid out for him on his dresser. It was another simple kimono, meant more for his comfort than appearance. Her lips thinned as she pondered his suggestion.

"Winky thinks Ichigo should be resting." She smiled. "Perhaps, Master Ichigo would like to talk? Winky thinks that her master has a lot on his mind."

Said man paused, his fingers wrapped around the cool cloth. He sighed and let the kimono go, watching it return to its place on the wood. "I am... at sea."

Winky, seemingly the wisest one of all of them, climbed into the shinigami's bed and patted the spot next to her, urging her master to join her.

"The captain of a vessel travelling on a night where the clouds cover the stars, I can see a storm brewing, but the stars -- our way to safety -- are hidden from my view. I can do nothing but watch as the passengers aboard wander the deck, wary but unknowing of what they are about to face. The storm, oh the storm, it's a nasty one. It will be talked about for centuries, a story passed on from father to son, mother to daughter, friend to friend."

"With such a torrent on the way, what is there for me to do? How can I prepare? I must keep in mind my limitations, and there are mutineers on my ship, lying in wait. One of my vice captains, the one with all the answers, is ill. The other is as confused as I. What am I to do? Tell me, please..."

Winky hesitated, not having the words her master so desperately needed to hear. The man before her had lived many lifetimes, but still doubted his own ability. Not that she blamed him, after what he'd been through. Winky had left her master's side the night of the ball, wishing to give him privacy and the chance to relax. She was happy with her decision; she wouldn't have known what to do with Ichigo in that state.

"Winky is not very smart, she does not know the answer. Winky does know Master Ichigo, and she knows he will figure it all out, that she does." With that, she hopped back off the bed, and continued her chores in silence. After all, what more could she say?

Ichigo's sleep that night wasn't restful, it never was anymore. The fireplace in his world was growing dimmer with every passing day, the torrents his thoughts were going through not helping in the slightest. And before anyone knew it, the day of the third challenge was upon them.