Festivities

Chapter 11

Festivities

"Are you sure this looks alright?" Ichigo asked as he fiddled with the thin red tie around his collar.

Hermione slapped his hands away and straightened the piece of fabric for the fourth time that night. "You look quite charming, as long as you stop touching it."

"I'm just not sure this is the best idea, I mean, I haven't done this kind of thing in well, centuries. Surely this is too inappropriate to continue, I'm not really sure why I even agreed in the first place..."

Hermione's eyes softened as she looked up at the man who had become an older brother to her. She moved to where Winky was standing next to the man's closet. She collected the black jacket from the elve's arms and brought it back over to Ichigo. Hermione hesitated before she spoke in a soft tone. "This might be the bookworm in me, but I think that truly, when it comes to age, it really is just a number."

Ichigo paused in his fidgeting and looked at the girl, no the young woman, silently asking her to elaborate. She smiled and continued. "We always say that life is too short for regrets, that we should follow our hearts, wherever they lead. But you, you live too long for regrets. You carry the weight of mistakes and losses on your shoulders for centuries, death does not being reprieve to you as it does us. And it's not as if your body has aged with you, no, you could have any woman or man that you want, but you don't. You don't even look twice in their direction. Surely, if someone has managed to turn your head, then it's something you should look into, don't you think?" With that, the witch slipped the jacket onto the shinigami's shoulders, finishing his outfit.

"How is it, Hermione, that I've only known you for a few months, but I feel as though you've known me since birth?"

She winked. "Magic." Hermione grabbed her own dress off Ichigo's bed and moved to his bathroom to change as well. She stepped out and twirled the vibrant skirt with her hands. "What do you think?"

Winky looked at both of them and smiled. "Winky thinks you both look lovely. Very much. You better hurry, Winky does not want you late." With that in mind, the elf pushed the two out of Ichigo's chambers and shut the door behind them.

Ichigo smiled and held out his arm. "Milady, do I have the honor of delivering you to Sir Krum?"

Hermione giggled and took Ichigo's arm, her hand wrapping around the inside of his elbow. "I accept your gracious offer, Milord."

The two made their way to the Yule Ball, both of them nervous and excited about what the night would hold. They stopped before they descended the stairs towards the great hall, the air already brimming with music and laughter. Ichigo pulled away as Hermione gave the tie around his neck one more tug. "I'm going to find Victor, I hope to see you and Fleur on the dance floor." She gave him a kiss on the cheek and sauntered down the stairs. Ichigo's hands unconsciously raised to fiddle with his ribbon, but he stopped himself before he could and sighed.

The shinigami shuffled downstairs. The heat and noise washed over him as he reached the bottom, an entirely different world than the one he had just left. There was no turning back now. Several students walked past him, nodding in acknowledgement but not stopping to actually speak. He watched as they passed through the doors to the ball. Ichigo had barely walked away from the stairs before he was stopped by McGonagall, who pulled him to the side.

"Mr. Kurosaki," she began. Her voice was breathy and Ichigo could make out the small beads of perspiration that lined her brow. The poor older woman had been running herself ragged trying to keep the ball from falling apart before it had even begun. "Fleur has yet to arrive -- which afterwards, Mr. Kurosaki, I should like to speak with you about in great length. Once she arrives, all of the contestants will enter the hall and lead the first dance, as you know. You and her will lead the way. Until then, wait here with the other champions." Ichigo nodded as McGonagall scurried off, most likely to avert another catastrophe as per her usual routine.