Chapter 11

It has been a week and all of Lauren’s family and friends were worried about her. She flew back home and without speaking to anyone locked herself inside her room. She refused to come out and she refused to let anyone come in. Occasionally, she’d get a piece of something from the food they’d leave by her door but it went mostly untouched. Her phone when they try is always unattended. They thought she probably drained the battery and just left it dead.

“Honestly, I thought it will be your sister who’ll go out partying when she’s depressed. It turned out to be Camila.” Dinah said as she lounged over the Jauregui’s couch talking to Taylor, Lauren’s sister. “I don’t understand the world.”

Taylor could only nod as she glanced at the hallway leading to her sister’s room. They had been so used to her being away that now that she’s here, they don’t know what to do.

Lauren

Lauren could count the number of hours she slept the past week in her two hands. Everytime she’d fall asleep, she’d dream about Camila and she’d immediately wake up crying. Then she’d sit up and stare at nothing.  Her mind during these moments were blank, as if her brain refused to comprehend what has transpired. She knew what happened of course, she caused it. And she was sorry. She had never been sorrier in her entire life. But now there was nothing she can do except to accept it.

Then the knocking began. At first it was hesitant and then it became more insistent by the second. A cacophony of knocks, a symphony of sounds that fell under the things Lauren didn’t want to hear at the moment. So she laid down on the floor on her stomach, away from the door and covered her ears tightly with her pillow.

Then the vibration stopped.

Lauren released her grip on her pillow.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

Lauren would have frozen if she was moving but since she was not, she just stayed still.

“Why would you think all those things?”

Lauren tilted her head towards the voice.

“I brought you Nutella donuts.”

Lauren slowly turned her head to the side, vacant green eyes meeting worried brown ones. And the next thing she knew she was crying because she knows in a few minutes that she’d wake up all alone in her room. And she’s tired of the dream. So when she felt someone lay down next to her, she was surprised. It never went this way. Maybe this was one dream, where she won’t end up crying. She’ll take whatever she can get. So she slightly raised her body and leaned into the body next to hers. When she opened her eyes, she was looking at Camila.

“Hi.” The dream Camila said.

“Hey there hot stuff,” Lauren said as she tried to look sexy.

“Hot stuff?” The dream Camila looked at her with an amused grin.

“Oh yeah, baby girl. You’re like the lava that flows out of the volcano. Scorching hot.”

Dream Camila laughed at her then she reached out and gently touched Lauren’s face. Her smile replaced by concern.

“Don’t be sad,” Lauren said. “We can be anything inside our dreams. Let’s choose to be happy.”

“You think this is a dream?”

“Of course, it is. Because if it’s not, you wouldn’t even be here, silly.”

“Well, if this is a dream and we’re choosing to be happy then you should eat a little.” Dream Camila said as she sat up and helped Lauren to do the same. They now sat cross legged, facing each other. “Take a bite.” Dream Camila said as she took out one donut and held it near Lauren.

“Anything for you, babe.” Lauren said before leaning in a taking a bite. “Mmm… this is good,” she managed to say in between chewing. She then took the donut. “Now it’s your turn.”

Dream Camila smiled and then took a bite.

They spent the new few minutes, passing the donut back and forth until they finished it. Dream Camila then got a tissue and wiped Lauren’s lips. When she was about to wipe hers, Lauren grabbed her hand. “Let me.” Instead of taking the other tissue, Lauren leaned forward and flicked her tongue across Dream Camila’s lips. Opening her eyes, Lauren found Dream Camila’s eyes closed. Encourage by the lack of resistance, she leaned closer and gently kissed the girl of her dreams. She was about to go further when she felt a hand on her arm.

“You don’t know how much I want to continue this. But your parents may come in anytime and I don’t think they’ll appreciate seeing us like that.”

Lauren nodded and moved back but not before taking Camila’s hands between hers. “You’re not a dream.” She simply said.  

“I’m not.”

“You hate me.”

“I don’t”

“You should. I’d hate me.”

“Well, maybe I did for a second.” Camila admitted.

“What made you change your mind?”

“I saw the scribble of notes you left in my dressing room.”

“What?” Lauren exclaimed. “I thought I lost that.”

“Mama found it. But she forgot and only gave it to me last week. I tried to reach you after but I couldn’t find you. It was Dinah who told me you were back home.”

“Well, it just showed you how much of a dumbass I was… am.” Lauren said dejectedly, looking to the side, unable to face Camila.

“It showed me how much you love me, what you’ll do for me,” Camila said as she moved to Lauren’s side so she can see her. “Misguided as it was.”

“Misguided…”

“Yes, misguided. Because a life without you Lauren, is not a life I want at all even with all the trappings that go with success.”

“Doesn’t seem like it when you were pushing me way after I tried to tell you how sorry I was.”

“Cause I was hurt. You pushed me way. I don’t know what to think, what to believe. I couldn’t go through another heartbreak with you. I just couldn’t.”

Lauren bowed her head, consumed with guilt once more.

“Lauren? Lauren? Could you look at me for a second?”

Lauren reluctantly looked towards Camila. When she saw a ring, she let out a gasp.

“Years ago, you gave me a ring, a promise ring. So that once we’re ready, we’ll come back to each other.” Camila paused as she took a shaky breath, her nervousness apparent. “Now, if you’ll let me, I’m going to give you a ring. It’s no longer a promise but a commitment, that whatever happens we’ll talk to each other before doing anything that can break us apart.”