Chapter 7

“I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but was that Camila’s sister?” Dinah asked.

“Yeah.” Lauren said as she placed her phone down, trying to act like everything’s fine.

“What did she say?”

“She wanted me to go and visit them.”

“I didn’t know you were still close with the family.”

“Was…” Lauren said as she sat down. “That was the last one of the Cabello’s. I doubt any of them will be talking to me any time soon.”

“Am I missing something here?” Dinah asked, confused. “Aren’t you supposed to be freaking out?”

“Well, the good thing is that the missing paper is not with Camila. Because if it was, then Sofi would have been telling me a very different story.”

“Are you really doing this?”

“Not doing…. Already did.” Lauren said as she stood up and went to the kitchen where she poured herself a drink. “And it’s for the best.”

“Isn’t it a little too early to be drinking?”

“It’s a celebration,” Lauren said as she downed the whole drink in one gulped. “To a new life.”

Dinah didn’t stay long after that. Watching Lauren get drunk is not one of her favorite past times. If they were in a club, she would have stayed but they were not.

Even in her alcohol stuffed brain, Lauren did not fail to see the disappointment in her friend’s eyes. But to her defense, no one knew what she was going through. Somethings, it takes a nip of this or that just to help her make it through the day. Well if she was being honest, it was more than a nip most of the time. Learning to drink and smoke was something she learned on the job. It was of course something she tried before but when they started working non-stop, she learned that it helped keep the edge off. Well that, aside from Camila. Sweet sweet sweet Camila. She was really sweet even with the cameras off. Maybe a little too much. When Lauren was in school, she would have never been friends with someone like Camila. Her circle was a little more down and rough. But being stuck with the group 24x7 and away from family and friends, she appreciated having someone always there by her side trying to cheer her up and hanging on to her every word.

Walking unsteadily back to the kitchen, Lauren grabbed another bottle and took it with her to the living room. After filling her glass and drinking half of it, she recalled the first time she realized that she felt maybe a little bit more that friendship with the girl. She had been laughing at one of Dinah’s jokes and she turned towards Camila to see if she got it since it was a little bit green. She found Camila staring at her with those wide brown eyes and a little smile that only got bigger when she realized Lauren was looking at her. And they stared at each other a little longer than necessary. Lauren felt her heart skipped a beat. She knew right then, right there that she will do everything she can to keep that girl smiling.

It was a promise she was bound to break.

Another Month Goes By

“That was a tough one,” Ty said as they entered the car after attending the meeting with the record company.

“What do they know, anyway?” Lauren said in exasperation. “Not selling it enough? What do they want us to do? Film us making out and share it online? This is becoming ridiculous.”

Ty turned on the ignition and was about to change gears when he changed his mind. Instead he leaned back on the seat and turned to face Lauren. “You know when all this started, I didn’t think it would last a year but here we are nearing two.”

“Who would have thought?” Lauren said as she stared out the window.

“At this point, I don’t know who’s helping who. But I’m as tired of it as you are.”

“You are?”

“It is kindda hard trying to hide my real girlfriend from everyone and explaining it to her why we are doing this. I mean no offense Lauren, you are great but…”

“No… no… I mean, you’re great too Ty but you’re not my type as well. Well, you know what my type is.”

“Yeah, brunette, brown eyes, cute, dances awkwardly, good singer… I mean great singer,” Ty corrected himself when Lauren raised an eyebrow.

“And yours is also brunette, brown eyes, sexy. Eva is really gorgeous. She deserves to be paraded in public, not hidden in some hotel room.”

“Are we breaking up?” Ty asked as he looked at Lauren with a smile.

Lauren returned the smile and nodded. “They are going to kill us. But let’s make it as spectacular as possible.”

The next month was one story after another regarding Ty and Lauren’s split. There were fights caught on camera but then it ended amicably as both stated only good things about each other before finally ending it. And the first night it was officially over, Lauren was able to breathe freely. She was finally free and first thing she wanted to do was to fix things between her and Camila. She hoped it was not too late. So gathering her courage, she picked up her phone and dialed the number she knew by heart.

The brown eyed girl answered after a few rings. “Don’t ever call me again,” she said coldly and then hanged up the phone.