[Chapter 3] The Dinner

-Kalel's POV-

Anthony was out with Ian today, filming a Mailtime, I think he said. That left me home alone. As I was picking up Anthony's clothes to do the laundry, I noticed that his phone was on his bed. I raised my eyebrow in confusion - he almost always carried his phone with him. I wondered why he left it behind.

I set the laundry basket down on the ground and sat down on his bed, picking up his phone and seeing he had a message from someone he put into his contacts as "Cass". I tried to guess his passcode, starting with the most common 1-2-3-4. That proved unsuccessful. So I tried another one, 9-8-7-6. Again, unsuccessful. One more failed try and I would be locked out. So I put all my hope into his passcode being 1-1-1-1. And surprisingly it worked. I sighed in relief. As soon as I typed in the correct passcode, the phone pulled up the messages he had with this girl.

Today 11:45a.m. Cass: Wish you were here right now. I need you for some inspiration. And attached to it was a picture of this girl sitting on a couch with long, wavy blonde hair in two low pigtails, black thick-rimmed nerd glasses, and a guitar in her lap. I scrolled up.

Yesterday 9:02p.m. Me: I'm packing up for "filming" tomorrow. I can't wait for you to open that door and fling yourself at me

Yesterday 9:16p.m. Cass: Oh stop, I do not fling myself at you

Yesterday 9:23p.m. Me: Is that so? Then what do you call jumping at me and wrapping your arms around my neck to pull me into a kiss?

Yesterday 9:26p.m. Cass: I call it a warm welcome ☺

Yesterday 9:27p.m. Me: Haha 😆

I scrolled up even more, and the conversations were just too much for me to handle. I threw his phone back down and immediately stood up, crossing my arms over my chest. Who was this Cass person and why was she kissing Anthony?

-Cassidy's POV-

I was sitting on my couch, guitar in lap and notepad with scribbled down lyrics on the coffee table in front of me. I had my pencil between my fingers as I bit on the eraser (a bad habit I couldn't kick). To save me from my complete and utter loss for ideas, my phone began to rang. I jumped at it, hoping it was Anthony responding to my text message. Instead it was my older brother calling me. I heaved a sigh and picked up, "What are you doing calling me, Patrick? Aren't you on tour?"

"Yeah, just getting ready for a show in Virginia, actually. I had some down time and thought I'd make sure you're going to the dinner."

Ever since Patrick and I graduated from high school (nine years apart from each other) and moved out (him staying in Chicago and me moving to San Francisco with Carter), we've made the agreement with our mom that we'd come back every six months to spend about a week with her. We've just called it The Dinner because she always makes this huge meal for us when we come.

"Of course I'm coming. Why wouldn't I be?" Before he could answer me, I continued, "Wait, are you not coming?"

"No, no, I was just asking," He reassured me. I sighed in relief.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mom to death, but it's so much more easy to deal with her insane amount of motherly love she felt she needed to give after our parents divorced when Patrick's there. "Oh, and the band's going to be there too." Even easier! More people for her to spread the love to!

Did I forget to mention that my brother was Patrick Stump? From Fall Out Boy? Yeah... Out of four kids, we're the two youngest, me being the absolute youngest. Most people would say they're jealous of me. Being the sister of the lead singer of Fall Out Boy. I think they're crazy though. Are they jealous of being woken up at odd hours of the night to Patrick and his friends playing a new song they're working on as loud as they can? I guess if that's your prerogative... But in all seriousness, I love the guys. I grew to know all of them quite personally and it's like I'm a little sister to all of them.

"Oh cool!" I pinned my phone between my ear and shoulder as I leaned forward and grabbed my notebook, writing down a lyric that popped into my head. "Maybe I could bring Carter along. She's not doing anything right now and I think she could use a good visit with her dad. See how he's doing."

"Alright, I'll tell mom."

"Thanks. So, how's the tour going?" I questioned, throwing my notebook and pencil down on the coffee table and leaning back in the couch.

"It's going great. Thanks for asking. But I got to go. I'll see you in a couple of days!"

"See you!" I hung up and sighed. I sat there for a little before gasping in realization.

"A COUPLE OF DAYS!?!" I exclaimed to myself as I jumped to my feet, carefully leaning my guitar on the couch before grabbing my hair, "I can't leave in a couple of days...Anthony's going to be here..." I bit my lip as I began to pace back and forth, thinking off all the options I could do. "Well I could tell him I'm feeling sick...or I could ask him to come along with Carter and me...or I could-" Just then, the door cracked open and in came Anthony.

He smiled widely, "Hey, Cass."

"Hey!" I greeted as I walked over to him and kissed him, "How have you been?"

"I've been good, you?"

Perfect time to tell him you're sick, Cass. "I'm fine." Or don't. "You never texted me back..." I wrapped my arms around his neck and tilted my head to the side.

"I left my phone back at the house," He replied, "I would've gone back to get it, but I was already hours away. Sorry."

"It's okay. Hey, uh..." I slipped my hands into my high-waisted black shorts that covered the bottom of a white and dark red thin, horizontally striped, v-neck short sleeve, "I have to leave in two days to go to Chicago. It's a family thing. And..." Invite him. You've already ruined the first option. Might as well go with the second one. "Now, I know we agreed that nothing serious would come out of us and asking you to come with me and Carter sounds like something serious, but..." My attention averted to my feet.

"Sure," He cut me off.

My eyes widened, "What?"

"Sure, I'd love to come with you and Carter to Chicago." He grinned.

"But..."

He laughed, "Cass, it's cool."

"Awesome!" I exclaimed. My happiness was short-lived though and I sighed, "But what about Kalel? I'm planning on staying there for a week...won't she notice you're gone?"

"I'll tell her Ian wanted me to stay a little longer, it'll be fine," Anthony replied, slipping his arms around my back and pulling me close to him, kissing me. I smiled as I kissed him back.