Thirty-Seven

Amberle sat at the window gazing into the still night, tears rolling down her cheeks as she clutched her phone to her chest. The girl prayed to god, hoping that he'd listen to her prayer and keep Jos out of harm's way. She knew the type of man Danny was, he wasn't an impulsion man but strategic and careful and she couldn't help but cry at the thought of him possibly hurting Joslyn.

Amid her cry, the girl felt a hand on her shoulder and opened her eyes to find Russell staring down into her face. He was in the room along with Stacy, but she'd forgotten about them for a split second; she was so worried.

"Everything's going to be fine," He said and the girl wiped at her tears.

"I hope so,"

He patted her shoulder softly.

"Did either of you hear anything so far?" She asked and Stacy stepped forward.

"No, haven't heard a thing from my boys yet, I'm sorry."

The girl turned to the detective.

"We've tried tracking her phone but it only led us to an alley not far from the bar, but that was all we got before we lost signal."

"Did you try the number I gave you that Danny uses?"

"Yeah and it's been inactive for about a month," Russell answered and Amberle sighed heavily. She wanted to ball her eyes out so badly. The tension within her was unbearable, eating away her mind and all she wanted was to be free from it.

Getting up from her seat at the window, she moved away from both individuals and heads toward the fridge to grab a drink. Just as she was about to reach out, the front door opened and from the angle, she stood she saw the blonde head and ran towards her without hesitation. "Jos, oh my God!"

"Are you okay?" Amberle asked squeezing the woman to her in a tight hug. The woman's arms came up to embrace her just the same and her tears fell. She was safe.

"Besides being shaken up a bit I'm fine," Joslyn said, pressing her face into the girl's hair. Behind them, they could hear Russell and Stacy move towards them and reluctantly the girl pulled away from her. The four person's gazes locked. Both people there with Amber were excited to see the woman back safe from her supposed abduction.
In a way, everyone noted Joslyn's annoyance and before Amberle could address it the blonde spoke.

"Who are you?" She asked, looking directly at Stacy and the girl watched in silence as a new problem was about to unfold.

"I'm Stacy, Amber's friend," the raven head answered and Jos arched a brow in confusion.

"You're Stacy?"

"Yes, she is and I know how this looks but at the time I found out that Danny took you I freaked out and I decided to call someone I knew who would've been able to help me," explained the young girl.

"Couldn't you have called Russell or the police, you had to involve a criminal?"

"Criminal?" Stacy interjected angrily moving forward to Jos and Amberle stood in the middle.

"Yes, a criminal. You are a drug dealer, you've been charged with multiple offences, need I say more?" Jos asked and scratching his head was Russell.

"You're so worried about this criminal when you've been sleeping with one for how long?" Stacy spoke and the brunette rolled her eyes.

"Stop projecting, Stacy, she already knows everything," the girl stated and Joslyn laughed.

"Oh, is that so— I know everything?" She questioned, her tone was condescending and also filled with sarcasm. Amber was bewildered by the sudden change. "Yes, I've told you everything."

The woman shook her head at the absurdity and moved away from the girl.

"Jos," she called out as the blonde made her way out from the room.

"Jos, what's wrong?" Amberle asked grabbing hold of her arm to hold her still.

"You're what's wrong," She hissed and the girl flinched at her temper.

"What?"

"You heard me, you're what's wrong. It's your fault what happened tonight, with my car, the threatening message, me being almost run over, all of it is you. You're like some curse I stupidly picked up." She said harshly. Her words cut through Amber like a knife. The taller woman brushed past her again at this point, this time to head back towards Russell and Stacy.

"Thank you both for showing your concern but I'm fine now and I think its time that you guys leaves, especially you Russell, your wife and kids must be worried sick about you."

"Yeah, sure just take care alright." The man said and a few seconds later the sound of the front door closing filled the room and Jos and Amberle were the only ones left behind.