Nine

{IZZY}

When I came back, I knew that not everything would be the same as it used to be. In fact, I hoped to have something constant, something that would still be there for me. Sure, I've been more of a bitch but I'd like to have some company at the lunch table.

Mandy used to be my best friend. She was there for me when Caroline put me through some shit. The girl was my safety net until I snapped and decided to run away. Now, she barely speaks to me at school and I couldn't blame her for not approaching me. I haven't really made it easier for her to get close. I probably sound like I have a split personality disorder or something, but I blame it on being Izzy. Izzy doesn't want anyone getting close. 

Missing her while I was away was different from seeing her in person again after all those years. I had tried to forget about being Bella for so long that eventually I had forgotten about her. Coming back as Izzy meant I was forced to remember her when it was Bella she knew, not Izzy. The truth is that she doesn't know me anymore. Hades, I don't even know anything about her these days.

She sat with a bunch of friends, a few of them I recognized. We used to have the same group but I wouldn't go out as much. I didn't mind not being so close to the others. I thought all I needed was Mandy. There was an awful feeling at the pit of my stomach as I watched them interact. I tried to ignore it, telling myself it was probably just something I ate. I got up not long after catching a few stares in my direction, throwing my half-finished lunch away. There was no peace when you've got eyes on you.

The rest of the day went by fast and soon enough the final bell rang and I was free. I made sure Caroline wouldn't see me as I slipped into the forest like I always did. Wouldn't want her ratting me out to her demonic father for what might have been the millionth time already.

I still didn't know my way around the forest. Although, how could I when it was pretty big, stretching all the way to the reservation. I let my instincts take over in guiding me to a suitable spot, deciding to just ask a dryad for directions if I get lost. I had my bracelet from Jay in case any monster appeared, but I doubt I was unlucky enough to have another monster encounter.

After a long walk, I sat under the shade of a tall tree. The roots were big enough to sit on but I didn't bother sitting there and instead chose to sit on the grass. I couldn't help but smile at how peaceful it was being alone. I wished there more days when I didn't have to face anybody. Just me, myself, and I and the silence. I could be alone and not worry about anything.

I fell asleep, I think. It would be the only explanation as to why it was already dark out when I opened my eyes. I don't know how long I had been there, but I did know that I had to get back before I worried my mother again.

I arrived at the house, only to have the Aphrodite wannabe answer the door. Her beady eyes stared accusingly at me. "Mom and dad are fighting because of you," she told me. I didn't like how she was so comfortable calling my mother 'mom'. It was a reminder that we were actually related.

I didn't answer and pushed past her, ignoring her loud swearing as I went up the stairs. Even when I had already slammed the door behind me I had no break from the step-family from the Fields of Punishment. The step-dad just had to make an appearance.

My door swung open and there he stood with his signature glare. He said nothing as he stomped over and grabbed a fistful of my hair. I fell to the ground, feeling a stinging pain as his palm connected with my cheek.

"For how long are you going to keep making your mother worry for you, huh?" He had a tight grip on my left arm and I could tell that it would bruise later on. "If you're gonna keep up with the disappearing acts, then do us all a favor and don't come back!"

Finally, he let me go. He stormed out of the room without another word, but not without sending me a glare. The sound of the door slamming shut reverberated in the room.

Don't come back, he said.

Well, I guess that's what I'm going to do.

Without wasting another second, I grabbed my backpack and started stuffing some clothes and things I might need. Don't come back.

The school year was coming to an end anyway, so I don't think it would make much of a difference. The people back at camp would be disappointed that I was coming back. Will really thought I would be able to reconcile with the past.

When I had everything I needed, I opened up the window. I didn't care if I made a noise. The only thing on my mind was that I had to get out of there. I jumped out, bracing myself for the impact. I broke into a run when the pain subsided.

I didn't look back.