Seven

{IZZY}

I was on fire. At least, it felt like that was the case. I was dizzy for a moment and it took a while for me to concentrate. I focused on my breathing as I waited for the throbbing in my head to subside.

It hurt to even lift a finger but I bit my lip and held in my cries as I attempted to sit up. Pain shot up at my side and my arm and I inspected the cause of this. My left arm was bandaged where I remembered the hellhound had scratched me. I didn't have any nectar or ambrosia on me at the moment and I was sure that I'd be left with a scar.

I looked up, suddenly becoming aware that I was sitting in an unfamiliar room. How did I even get here? What happened to the hellhound? Was I not alive? Was this the Underworld? It looked too boring to be the Underworld. I would have thought that I earned the privilege to enter Elysium. This place looked more like an empty guest room.

The door swung open and a girl poked her head through the opening. "Oh, you're awake," she muttered as she let herself into the room. She left the door open, making it easier for me to try to escape if she tried to kill me or something. Although, she didn't look dangerous. She looked to be a few years older than me. Maybe in her late teens or early twenties. She was pretty, I guess, and looked to be native American. I tried to look her in the eyes, hoping to catch her intentions with me but I was a bit distracted by the scar that ran down on one side of her face.

Her smile was warm and motherly, catching me off guard and I immediately brushed away the thought of her being a monster. For a moment I wondered if she were like me--a demigod. She could have killed the hellhound and gotten me to safety.

"We were getting worried. You've been asleep for twelve hours," she muttered. I didn't answer, unsure of how to respond. What did she mean by we? Were there others who rescued me? "How are you feeling?" she asked as she moved closer to me.

I nodded, flinching when pain shot up my neck and shoulders. "I'm fine," I said.

She frowned, looking very concerned. "Are you sure? You might have a concussion. Do you want to go to the hospital? Oh, we should have brought you to the hospital." She kept rambling, saying a string of english words that didn't make sense to me as she talked faster. I thought I caught a familiar word, a name, but I shrugged it off.

"I'm alright," I assured her. I've been through worse, I wanted to add but decided not to. If she didn't know about demigods then I didn't want to have to explain it to her. "No need for a hospital."

Hesitant, she nodded her head. "Are you hungry, though? I could bring in a snack or something."

I was about to decline but my stomach answered for me. She chuckled. "I'll take that as a 'yes'. I'll be right back." She spun around and headed out the door, closing the door slowly as if not to make too much noise around me.

Once I was alone, logic finally kicked in. I cursed, remembering that the girl had told me I was asleep for half a day. That meant my mom was probably worried sick since I hadn't gone back to the house at all.

Despite the burning sensation that I felt with every move, I got out of bed. The pain was easier to ignore by the time I had reached the door and opened it. And at the same time, I feel a little tug at my brain as if warning me of danger. I ignored that, thinking I was just jumpy after the encounter with the hellhound.

The first thing I saw were the big shirtless men, then the two women. My instincts were telling me to run, which I should have been doing as I was clearly outnumbered if they turned all out to be monsters. I didn't run. Despite the sirens going on in my head, a part of me didn't see the need to.