Eight

{SETH}

She stared out of the window, looking tense as if she were expecting something to happen. I fought the urge to call her name and ask her what was wrong.

The drive to her house was shorter than I had anticipated. Not to sound dramatic or anything, but I didn't like watching her walk away from me. It was as if she was taking with her a part of me. I made a mental note to stop by if I could, if only to watch over her.

The Imprint bond was driving over the edge. Just looking at her brought so many emotions and I knew there was something bothering her. Every time I was near her, I could sense that she was in pain, that she was tired, that she just needed to stop and rest.

 I remembered that time she spoke to me. I was in my wolf form but she talked to me as if she were comfortable being around a horse-sized wolf. She told me about the people she lost and all I wanted to do was phase and comfort her. Of course, a naked stranger suddenly appearing in place of the wolf would have sent her running.

She could feel the bond. How she could easily talk to me was proof of that. At least, she could easily talk to wolf me. Person me was different. I could see it in her face how she tries to fight the Imprint bond. As much as I hated that she was fighting the bond, I had to try to be patient.

My Imprint may not have been as simple as Jared's but I wouldn't want anyone else.

A week passed and Izzy was on my mind for pretty much half of the time, maybe even more. Catching up with schoolwork was difficult with my Imprint running through my mind all day.

I didn't like that the others could watch over their Imprints without feeling like a stalker. It was so unfair how I never had had a chance to explain things to her yet. It's not like my Imprint was as complicated as Sam and Emily's, or even Quil's, but I wasn't getting anywhere. It was so unfair.

Seth, shut up, Jake said through the mindlink and I remembered that they could hear my thoughts.

I lowered my head though they couldn't see me. Sorry, I replied. It's just that this Imprint thing is--

It's driving us crazy, too, you know, Embry cut in. We have to listen to you think about her.

I was going to say something but then I smelled it. It was faint, but very familiar. It must have been my imagination; she really was driving me insane.

Seth.... If we were in human form and Jake was standing in front of me, he would have been glaring.

Sorry--There it was again. My brain was on high alert, telling me to run.

What's wrong? Embry asked. It was a moment later when he mindlinked again. Wait, I think I hear something. 

I didn't waste a single second and started running off in the direction my instincts told me to go.

What the-- Jake thought as we came to a stop. The scene in front of us wasn't anything we had ever encountered before.

There were two females, which wasn't the weird part. One of them looked like a snake.

The other girl's back was turned away from me but I knew her. The bronze sword she held in her hand was intimidating but I was in awe, too. Her shoulders moved as if she were taking a breather, and she stepped back with one foot. She raised the sword and ran at the snake lady.

Is that--

"Shit!" Izzy yelled as another snake lady jumped in. She turned around to run and I noticed the scratches on her face and the thin line of blood that dripped down her forehead.

I couldn't help the growl that erupted from my throat. Slowly, I stalked from my place of hiding, much to Jake and Embry's protest. My Imprint cursed again but I wasn't paying attention to her. No. My eyes were on the snakes that dared to hurt my Izzy.

I lunged at the monsters, Jake and Embry following my lead. It wasn't long until the two melted into a puddle of monster guts. It left a bitter taste in my mouth and I held back the urge to vomit. Someone chuckled  through the mindlink and I ignored them.

I turned around to face my Imprint, who held her sword up cautiously. She was breathing heavily and had bruises and cuts all over her skin. It wasn't as bad as the last time, but I still didn't like seeing her like this. She looked tired as she watched us, and maybe deciding that we weren't a threat, she lowered her sword and it disappeared.

Her eyes widened as I took a step closer, recognition flashing in her eyes. She swayed slightly but a small smile still formed on her face.

"I was going to head back to camp, but I guess the fates have something else in mind," she said and then laughed. It was a weak sound and, before I could phase, she collapsed on the ground.