chapter six

The next day, Cas was surprised to see Dean back in class. He didn't say hi to him, or even make eye contact. When the class was over, Dean stopped him in the hallway. "Cas?" His voice sounded soft and broken. Cas noticed there were new, dark bruises on his face. "What, you wanna talk to me now?" Dean looked like he was gonna cry. "Cas, I'm really sorry. Some family stuff came up, and I wasn't able to text you back. Please forgive me." Cas couldn't stay mad at that face. "I forgive you."

"Well that's good cause, I can come over tonight, if that works for you."

"Really? Ya, that totally works! I'll text you my address later." Cas's heart was beating so hard he was worried Dean could hear it. "Okay, I'll see you then."

...

When Cas got home from school he ran to his bathroom to freshen up. He combed his hair, brushed his teeth, and put on a clean shirt. "Mom!" he yelled, "My friend Dean is coming over!" Cas couldn't believe this was actually happening. He tried to keep his cool. When he was ready, he ran downstairs and waiting anxiously by the door.

ding dong

Cas took a deep breath and opened the door. "Hey, Dean! Come on in." Dean walked inside and looked around. "You have a nice house," he said. "Hi, Dean! I'm Ms. Novak," Cas's mom said walking in the room. "Nice to meet you."

"Okay, mom. We're gonna head up to my room. We'll be down later."

"Okay, nice meeting you Dean!"

"You too," he said, as Cas grabbed his hand pulling him up the stairs and into his room. Both boys sat down on the bed. "So, what do you wanna do?" Cas hadn't thought of that. "Um, I don't know actually." They sat there in awkward silence, not knowing what to say.

"Actually, um, Dean? There's been something I've been wanting to ask you."

"Yes?"

"How did you get your bruises?"