Chapter Two

I was pessimistic as I pulled into the grey, two story house belonging to me and my half-sister. Technically, it was actually our parents' house, but neither of them had been home in months. My step-mother-- Marie's mother-- was in the hospital, dying of cancer last I checked. Our father was out with his second family, running from the mess he made of my life.

Ever since my step-mother found out I was truly the product of my father raping his cousin(or at least, that's the story she told me), she had taken out her frustrations on me. She punished me in creatively symbolic ways for my father's wrong-doings, and as a result, from the age of nine until I was fifteen, I was left unaware to the world I was missing out on. The real world. The world where a girl such as myself could step out the door without fearing for her life.

Most importantly, however, I missed out on the Academy- and the two loves of my life.

I turned the car off, undoing my seat-belt and trying to fight off a stupid grin. Sean and Owen changed my life. If it weren't for them, for the Academy, I'm not sure how I would have ever escaped my step-mother.

Making sure I had my phone, I got out of the car, locking it before starting towards my and my sister's front door. I tried the door knob, and at finding it unlocked, stepped inside.

I cringed at the stench, wrinkling my nose against what smelled like it had to have been weeks of unwashed dishes and forgotten garbage. Had it really only been days since I had been home last? I stayed at Sean's condo often, but I checked in every few days.

I tucked my phone into my bra, my key-ring around my finger, the keys grasped in my fist to minimize the noise. With a heavy sigh I shut the door, scanning the 'family' room. Like usual, the only piece of furniture was the old, untouched couch. There was nothing in the room to be out of place, and so unsurprisingly, nothing was.

It wasn't until I got to the kitchen that I found the source of the unpleasant smell. The sink had minimal dishes, but the water was an ugly brown, the drain clogged, dishes caked with food. Various food items lay open on the counter, a pot on the stove sitting uncleaned with noodles burnt to the bottom.

I groaned. If only Marie would clean up after herself...

Ignoring the mess for the time-being, I jogged up the stairs. A glance past Marie's open door revealed her room to be trashed, similarly to the kitchen. There were more dishes, food wrappers and various types of trash decorating the floor, and clothes scattered in piles around the room.

I continued towards my own room. Paused. The door was cracked open.

"Marie?" I called. I could hear shuffling. My body began to tremble at the familiar scenario. Had my step-mother come home? I thought, though I knew she was in no condition to return. Besides, Sean would have told me. Right?

I slipped my phone out of my bra, clutching my keys to my chest to deafen their jingling as I shook. Just breathe, Sang. It's only Marie.

Steeling myself, I forced myself to put my phone back into my bra, standing straighter and putting on an indifferent mask. Fake it 'til you make it.

I placed a palm against the door, took one last deep breath, and pushed it open.

Marie stood in front of my open closet, the contents it a pile at her feet. I grimaced at seeing she was still trying to button a light green blouse a few sizes too small over her chest, her black lace bra showing more than I needed to see.

"M-Marie!" I squeaked. She didn't hear me, and it took me a moment to understand why. Then I spotted the white cords hanging around her chin, swept to the side and draped over her shoulder. Earbuds. With the way she was turned, her side to me, I could clearly see the outline of a phone in her jean pocket where the cord disappeared. Since when did she get a phone?

Marie gave up buttoning the shirt and was going to unbutton it when she caught my shadow on the wall. She turned, uncaring as she took out an earbud. Mumbled words and loud drums floated from the small device. "Weren't you supposed to be out with those boy toys of yours?"

"They're not-" I cut myself off, cheeks heating. It didn't matter. "Why are you going through my clothes? They're too small for you."

"I've got a date. And they fit fine. It's none of your business, anyways."

I frowned. "You're in my room looking through my things." I was pretty sure that made it my business. "When did you get a phone?"

"When did you get a car?" she shot back, though I had been driving for months. Rolling her eyes at me, she put her earbud back in, shoving past me. I heard her door slam a few seconds later.

The irritation faded quickly as I shut my door, leaving my keys on my nightstand. I spent a few minutes picking up and refolding the clothes Marie had left on the floor-- including one of her shirts. In the near silence of the house, I could hear the neighbor's dog barking, a happy sound. My thoughts drifted to the family across the street.

I had run into Coda(or was it Cody?) a few times while he was walking his Golden Retriever. He seemed like a nice guy, though I didn't know much about him. I was pretty sure he lived with his younger sister and mother.

He and his friends seemed like they were about my age, maybe a bit older. Fifteen, maybe sixteen? I couldn't be sure. I was hoping they all went to Ashley Waters, though. They seemed nice, though reserved, and I was sure they'd be helpful when it came to navigating public school and blending in. Marie and I had always been home schooled, before last year, so I wasn't privy to public school life. Even so, last year I hadn't gone to school. I had been enrolled in the Academy, so when my step-mother was admitted to the hospital and our father left, Marie was left going to school, but I was free of any formal education.

A sudden blast of music startled me into falling back on my butt and I huffed. Marie definitely resented me and my lack of need for public school. I wasn't looking forward to spending the weekend home with her.

~ | A/N | ~

This fanfiction doesn't get many reads being new and all, but I appreciate each and every one! For those of you who do enjoy reading this story and wish to read more, votes and comments are great motivation! Haha, not that I'm desperate for approval or anything... (PLEASE COMMENT- I AM DESPERATE).

Happy reading!