CH 81

Liz was still in the haze of deep sleep when she felt his fingers graze her cheek and his lips against her forehead. She distinctly heard him tell her that he loved her and then he was altogether gone. Rolling onto her side she tried to fully wake, but the bed was too warm, too soft, too perfect to allow for anything more than blissful unconsciousness and she slipped back into the deep with her nose buried in his pillow. 

It felt like hours later when she finally woke with a start, sitting up to quickly get her bearings. She felt dizzy and disoriented after sleeping so deeply for so long and she scrambled out of the bed before it convinced her to stay, pulling the flat sheet off and wrapping it around herself. The clock on the fireplace mantle read 8:30 am and Liz frowned, thinking it had to be wrong. It had to be at least noon, she had slept for so long but her phone on the nightstand concurred and she wondered what time Dave had actually left that morning. 

Getting her first good look at the bedroom, Liz wrapped the sheet around herself a bit tighter. It had been dark by the time they had finally gotten to the hotel in Paris and she had been so exhausted from running off of such little sleep that she and Dave had gone straight to bed. The room was painted in several shades of white with ebony wood and silver accents and it felt as of Coco Chanel had just stepped out for a smoke on the terrace. The bed even had a cream silk canopy that stretched across the ceiling to the elaborate crystal and silver chandelier that hung in the middle of the bedroom and Liz actually laughed when she leaned into the attached white marble bathroom. It was far and away the nicest place she had ever been in, much less wandered around wearing only a luxury linen flat sheet. 

Overwhelmed, she stumbled across the dark room to pull back the curtains and swore under her breath. Paris was laid out before her, along with a decent sized rooftop terrace that she stepped out onto. The sheet blew against her in the soft breeze as she stared at the Eiffel Tower in the distance and the Seine beside it. 

"I thought you made a break for it."

She turned at Dave's voice and managed a smile. "Yeah, I was about to make a rope out of bedsheets so I could escape this torture chamber you've locked me in."

He handed her a cup of coffee and sat in one of the plush chairs in the sunshine. "Torture chamber? I've never really tried the S&M thing, but I'll give it a go if you're into it," he grinned, his eyes fixed on the outline of her body in the thin sheet.

Liz laughed and ignored the other sumptuous chairs around him, opting to sit in his lap instead. "I'm not that bored with you yet."

"... Yet," he muttered, taking a sip of his coffee. 

"How's a girl gonna get bored when you put her up in a fucking palace like this?" she threw her hand towards the open bedroom door as he wrapped his arm around her waist. "Honestly, Dave. That room is ridiculous."

"I wasn't going to put you up in a fucking Motel 6 for your birthday, Elizabeth," he laughed. 

"We could have put little party hats on all the cockroaches though," she whined, then giggled when Dave laughed harder. "And who the hell told you it was my birthday?"

"You have a Wikipedia page, you nerd," he teased and dragged his fingers across her cheek when she blushed. "Don't make any plans today, okay?"

Her smile returned and she looked out over Paris. "But I thought we could storm the Bastille, guillotine some politicians, abolish the absolute monarchy... you know, do as the French do."

"You're pretty focused, Liz. I bet you could get all that in while I'm at soundcheck."

She crossed her arms and shifted so her back was against his chest. "So much for my date night idea," she pouted.