.overreacting

AS THE WEEKS passed in Avonlea, the weather got colder and colder with each day

AS THE WEEKS passed in Avonlea, the weather got colder and colder with each day. It was currently a bright sunny Tuesday and everyone was cheerful and happy. Well, everyone except Margaret.

Why, you may ask?

Well, Margaret hasn't been to school the past few days due to the flu that she caught. Her arm healed really fast, and she stayed out of trouble for a while, but the freezing cold weather really gave her no other options. So she ended up in her room, all alone, quietly reading in her bed.

"Dear Lord, why must you torture me like this?" she groaned as Marilla approached her to give her some herb tea (which tasted pretty awful by the way).

"Oh shush, child. You're alright." Marilla scoffed as she placed the warm cup on the table next to the girl's bed.

"I'm most certainly not, Marilla! Can't you see I'm on my death bed for goodness sake!" Margaret whined, sitting up and tugging on the woman's sleeve.

"When I die promise me to take care of Snow." she pleaded sadly, making Marilla chuckle.

"Get it together, you crazy girl. You're not dying any time soon, so shut your blabbering mouth and drink this before it gets cold!" the woman said before turning around to leave the room.

"Yeah, you keep telling yourself that!" was all Margaret managed to yell out before the woman was out of sight.

The girl put her book away, and her hands immediately wrapped around the warm cup. She gagged in dissapproval as she tasted the disgustingly sour drink.

This is going to be a long day...

.
.
.

"There goes that hideous cat again! I'm seriously going to throw it away one day, you'll see!" Jerry angrily said as the snowy white kitten jumped around the barn, kicking over the wooden boxes he tried so hard to arrange.

"Don't blame the poor cat for your inability to do a job right." Anne calmly said, while swiping the wooden attic of the barn.

"Yeah, it's not Snow's fault you're a lazy hag." Lily smirked, throwing a hazelnut from her bowl at Jerry. "Boy do I love hazelnuts." she contently sighed, throwing a handfull in her mouth.

"Why, you two never, and I mean never, ever have anything nice to say to me! Too bad Margaret's sick, or she'd have your heads, I bet!" the boy frowned, shooing away the kitten and stacking the boxes yet again.

Then the wooden barn door suddenly opened, revealing the black mop of a hair that belonged to no other than Gilbert Blythe. Taking his hat off and ruffling his hair, he looked at Jerry with a questioning look on his face.

"Who'd have whose heads?"

.
.
.

"Come on, Marilla, please!"

"I already told you no a thousand times!"

"Just let me write my will!"

"For the tenth time, you're not dying!"

"How would you know? You're not a doctor!"

Margaret was currently chasing Marilla around the house, insisting on writing a will in which she'd write about who will own the white cat after hear self presumed death.

"Now listen, I've had it!" the woman slammed her hands hard on the table, making the girl flinch.

"You just have a flu. A flu. It's curable, it'll be gone in no more than three days." she calmly said, making the girl nod.

It was then when the door opened yet again, and the four kids entered the house only to see Margaret sitting on the kitchen table in her sleeping dress, and Marilla with her hands leaned on the said table.

"Oh Jerry! Good, you're here. I have to say my goodbyes!" the girl quickly scrambled down from the table and ran towards the boy, rushing him in.

"Goodbyes?" Jerry confusedly said, looking at Marilla who just rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Now come here and sit, this is very important, very!" the redhead said, pushing the boy to sit in the living room. Then she noticed three more people behind him.

One of them being-

"Gilbert!" the girl said, running towards the boy to embrace him in a big tight hug, which he, although shocked, accepted.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he said, carrying her inside while managing to close the door behind them

"If you say you're going to di-" Marilla started, but Margaret quickly interrupted her.

"I'm dying! I'm on my death bed!"

"It's a flu!" Marilla yelled out before groaning and rushing up the stairs angrily.

"Gilbert I don't want to die."

"You won't, Margaret. You heard Marilla, it's just a flu." he calmly said, trying hard not to laugh out loud.

"I don't want to die. I want to grow up and do things!" she said, ignoring his attempts to calm her down.

"And... what are the things you'd like to do?" Lily said, slowly approaching the shaking girl.

"Well... I'd like to finish school. A-and find a good job. I want to make dresses, a-and make women happy and proud."

"Anything else you'd like to do, love?" Gilbert said, catching up to what Lily was trying to do.

"I'd love to live in a big palace. With hundreds of rooms and bathrooms, and with a huge ballroom. I'd invite my friends from the orphanage, all the poor people. I would love to be a good influence. And I would also like to have loads of cats." the girl smiled, wiping her tears with her sleeve.

"That's amazing." Lily said, petting the girl's hair.

"It sounds like a really good, thought out plan. Don't you think so, Anne? Jerry?" Gilbert said, nudging the two.

"O-of course!" they both said in unison.

.
.
.

Later that night all of the kids were sat in Anne's room, talking and laughing.

"I really overreacted today. I'm sorry, everyone. It's just... at the orphanage. Many kids died every day from silly diseases. Just because no one knew how to treat them. And I just.. panicked, I guess."

"It's no problem, Margaret." Gilbert said, leaning her head to rest on his shoulder.

"We'll always be here for you." Lily said, giving Anne a side hug.

"Yeah, we're a family, remember?" Jerry chimed in, Snow sound asleep in his lap.

"I love you guys." was the last thing Margaret said before she drifted off, her eyes closing.

(Y'all she's just asleep don't worry)

Anyways sorry for being inactive, I kno I suck 👌😤✌