. the flower garden

"DO YOU even know where we're going?" Margaret asked as Gilbert guided her deep into the forest

"Is this the part where you turn into a psycho and violently kill me?" she continued when he didn't answer, causing him to chuckle.

"Yes, Margaret, I know where I'm going, and no, I'm not going to murder you."

"Thank God, because that would really be a shame." nearly tripping on a rock, she grabbed on his hand, and didn't let go since.

"Alright, we're here!" he said when they finally caught sight of a beautiful field filled with loads of flowers and trees, and even though it was nearly winter time, it still looked magical.

"Woah! This is, this is wonderful!" Margaret ran into the grass, turning around and laughing. Gilbert kept his distance and admired the girl from a few feet away.

"I'm glad you're enjoying yourself." he said, and Margaret laughed out loud.

"Thank you for this. It's really nice of you." sitting down on the grass, she sighed.

Gilbert soon joined her, sitting down next to her, careful not to sit on her dress. Which, by the way looked amazing on her.

"This dress looks good on you." he said, turning away from her so she doesn't see him blush.

"Oh, please. It's just an ordinary dress." blushing, she smiled widely "Thank you though."

Silence was all that could be heard in the next few minutes before Margaret finally spoke up. And her words were dripping like honey from her lips when she said them. They were like music to Gilbert's ears, they made his heart flutter and his stomach turn.

"I think I'm in love with you."

He quickly whipped his head towards her, looking her directly in her eyes. He searched for a hint of honesty in her voice, and when their eyes connected, he smiled.

"And I know I'm in love with you."

Hearing those words made Margaret smile, and she extended her hands and engulfed the boy in a tight hug, which he returned.

"You've made my life better ever since you came. And you don't even know how much you mean to me, I feel like I've known you my whole life."

"Well your kindness showed me that there is more to this world than loneliness and self pity. So I thank you, Gilbert. And even though I was mean to you, I just did it because I wanted to be cautious. I didn't want to be left alone again."

"I'm not going to leave you, Margaret. Ever." breaking the hug, the boy sighed.

"Wow-" Margaret started "- I feel like a huge weight just fell off my chest!" sighing happily, she turned around and kissed the boy's cheek, making him smile.

.
.
.

"Oh, my God! To be completely honest, I absolutely despise christmas carols! And to think that wine is cherry juice? Just... wow!" Margaret said as Gilbert was bent over from laughter, clutching his stomach.

"Boy, when I saw you standing on that bench-" he couldn't even finish his sentence from laughing.

"Hey! You're never going to forget that, are you?" she smacked his head playfully before joining Gilbert in his laughter.

After calming down, he took his time to admire the girl, again. He caught himself doing this numerous times in many different occasions, but he couldn't stop himself. The way she placed flowers in her hair, making it look even prettier than it was. The way her small dimples would show when she laughs wholeheartedly. The way she would play with her dress when she's nervous. The way her eyelashes would touch her cheeks when she closes her eyes. She was beautiful, in an unusual way. She wasn't necessary gorgeous or breathtaking, but she was simply herself. Plain and amazing at the same time. Dull and vibrant. Calm but fierce. She was perfect.

When she caught him staring, he quickly masked it off by coughing and staring at the open field before them. That's when it was Margaret's turn to stare at the boy beside her.

He had hair as black as coal but his heart was as sweet as honey. His eyes reminded her of a forest, dark but comforting. His kind words that made her heart melt and his amazing personality. His protectiveness of his friends and family, his caring nature. The way he'd put not two, but three scarves around his neck in the cold weather. The way he treats his father, the people around him. The way he tries to help everyone, his wishes for everyone to be happy. He was an angel. And Margaret was glad she got to know him.

"Hey, Gilbert?" she asked, shifting closer to the boy.

"Yes?" he responded,turning around so he was facing her.

"Do you think this will work? I mean, the two of us."

"Why would I think otherwise?" he smiled, taking her hand in his and placing a kiss on it.

Shaking her head, she removed her hand from his, and reached for his face. Caressing his cheek, she smiled before placing a kiss on it, causing him to smile widely. Scooting closer, they finally closed the distance between them, their lips caught in an innocent kiss.

It wasn't much, but they were together, that's all that mattered.

When they pulled away, both of them had goofy smiles on their faces.

"We should probably go back." Gilbert said as he notices the sun was going down.

"Yep, we don't want Marilla to get mad." Margaret said, suddenly remembering how Matthew made her, Anne and Jerry peel potatoes because he found out they've been drinking. Poor Jerry.

"Hey, wanna hear a funny story?" she said, their hands intertwined as they walked down the forest path that led towards the village.

"Sure, I've noticed you've got quite a lot of those." he said, causing Margaret to snort and playfully shove his shoulder.

"So it all started when I got home on Saturday..."

AN/ holy shizz thank you for 1k!! I seriously didn't think anyone would want to read this crap! no'but seriously, thank you.❤