Chapter 28

I opened my eyes when I heard a groan coming from the left. My breath caught in my throat as I sat up and turned to look that way.

My mate groaned again before he started to panic.

I took off the drips and wires before making my way to my mate. "Matt," I whispered hoarsely, placing my hand on his body. "Open your eyes, please." My voice shook.

Matt opened his eyes and looked confused. He stayed still, his gaze focused on nothing.

"Matt?" I asked, and he looked at me. I furrowed my brows, and my heart broke when I saw no recognition in his eyes. "Matt?" I asked again.

He furrowed his brows and groaned out in pain. "Martha?" he asked, and my breath caught in my throat. He groaned when I collapsed on his chest, sobbing.

"Gods, don't scare me like that," I said, my voice cracking. I thought you had forgotten about me."

Matt tried to chuckle but groaned out instead. "Where am I?" he asked.

I shrugged and kept close to his side. "I don't know," I replied honestly. "I woke up a couple of minutes ago. Brody sat on my chest because I started to panic."

"Why?" he asked.

"I thought you were dead," I said, my voice cracking. "You were so close to death that I thought I had lost you."

Matt sighed softly. "Look at me, Martha," he said. He tried to offer me a smile, but it turned into a grimace. "I am just like you. I am too stubborn to die."

I rolled my eyes, a smile flickering on my lips.

"Do you know how I got out?"

I nodded. "I pulled you out," I said. "I had help."

"From?"

"Ryan," I replied. "He is a Snakeston. He tried to stop you from going, but you were persistent."

Matt stayed silent. "I'm sorry," he whispered. He had a pained expression in his eyes, and I could tell that he didn't like me crying. "I should have just called you the minute my truck started to act funny."

"You should have," I said, "but you didn't. And we have to learn from this. They are going to try to kill everyone because I am close to finishing."

Matt tried to nod his head but couldn't. He looked to be in so much pain, and I hated that I couldn't help him relieve it. "Do you know when the doctor is coming?" he asked.

"I don't know," I replied honestly. I looked at the door when there was a knock and saw Ms. Kathy standing by the door, her eyes filled with tears. "I think now. Your Mom is here."

Matt groaned, and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Not my mom," he whined. "I don't need her to see me naked."

"Honey, I have seen you naked more times than not," Ms. Kathy said. She came over to us and squeezed my shoulder in thanks. "Remind me to show you his baby pictures, Martha," she said. "I have found some that him naked and covered in flour."

"Mom."

"I also have one of him in the bathtub. He looked to be flipping us off."

"Mo-om."

I smiled and nodded my head. I moved to my bed and sat down. I wanted to be close to my mate, but I knew that she needed space. I knew that she needed to make sure that her son was alive and not badly hurt as he looked.

I looked at the door and smiled when I saw my mother, father, John, and Brody. Like Matt, I needed to make sure that my family was ok. I knew that I was the one injured, but it was only fair.

They needed reassurance that I was fine, just like I needed to be reassured that they were alive and well.