Chapter 23

The day of the burial came, and I was not looking forward to it. My heart was heavy with guilt because I couldn't save Randi in time.

The full moon shone across the lake, and it shimmered and glittered like diamonds in the night. The mood wasn't as bright as the night, but it was a good way to send her off.

I stood beside Faolon and Lobo, leaning against my mate. I kept my feelings in check, knowing full well that my mate and family could pick up the slightest change in my behavior.

Faolon walked into the lake, the water starting to glow a golden color. The golden color grew brighter as Faolon moved closer to the center of the lake, and I watched in amazement as the color seemed to pulse towards him before transforming him into a brilliant ball of light.

After the light died down, Faolon stood in his human form, glowing. He caught my shocked and amazed look and smirked before turning serious. "We are gathered here to honor a member of our pack," he said, looking at our pack.

Everyone glanced at each other looking grim before looking at our Alpha, our leader. Not a word was spoken as we focused our attention on our Alpha, and I knew that it was because we all wanted to hear what he had to say.

"Randi died three nights ago protecting our Pups from the Dark Forces," Faolon said, his voice level and firm. He looked at each of the pack members, wanting their undivided attention. He knew that I was anxious to get everyone back to their own houses, but he knew that he was going to have to do this first. "As the Almair had stated three nights ago, Randi should be honored as a top-ranking member because without her selflessness, then we would have lost some of our Pups."

The mothers of the Pups nuzzled their children, wanting to make sure that they were safe. The others looked at the young ones before looking at our Alpha, a word not spoken through. Everyone understood the sacrifice that she made to protect the children, and that had earned our respect, even though some had already respected her beforehand.

"Is there anyone that disagrees with her being buried as a top-ranked official?" he asked, and everyone shook their heads and muttered, 'no, Alpha.' Faolon nodded his head and gestured his hand towards the center of the lake where Randi was, lying on top of logs that were on a podium. "Then let us call our ancestors and ask them to help us honor our fallen hero."

In the distance, someone was pounding on drums. As soon as the drums sounded through the forest, Lobo, Matt, and I walked into the lake. Singing and howls filled the air as we walked towards the podium, and each step made the guilt grow.

Higher and higher the guilt and sadness washed over me, but I still kept moving forward. As the Almair, it was my duty to show the pack that we were still stronger than ever and that the clans were to be united. It was my duty to show that she did not die in vain and that she would not be forgotten.

Faolon touched my arm, his touch warm. He looked at me with worried eyes, and I could tell that he knew the strain that I was under. He handed me the torch that would light the funeral pyre like they had in that Star Wars scene with the burial of a Jedi Knight.

I gave him a subtle nod to tell him that I was all right before taking the torch from him. With the help of Matt, I was able to move towards the pyre and started to sing one of the ancient songs that Faolon had taught me.

Because I was to be the next Alpha, Faolon had decided that it would be best for me to be the one to do the funeral. I think that there was another reason, but I had no idea why as I tossed the torch into the log pit.

As soon as I did that, the whole thing went up in flames, the fire making scenes of wolves running around. Barks of welcome were heard as the wolves stopped to greet the newest arrival, Randi.

Randi looked around, and I could feel that she was amazed by the fact that she was getting a funeral for a higher rank. Her gaze landed on me, and the other wolves looked at me with an amount of curiosity and respect that I had not seen in those that had just met me.

She moved forward, the fire leading her way until she stood in front of me. Her eyes glowed brightly like the fire she was made of, but I could tell that it was mainly from joy. She bowed her head and submitted, and the other Wolves, both alive and dead, to follow in her suite.

"Thank you," she whispered, her voice being carried with the wind. She stood and looked to her left when another female Wolf walked over to her. She nuzzled the female, and I could tell that she was her mate.

The female wolf nuzzled Randi before turning to look at me. She nodded her head in thanks before nipping at Randi and turning away from us.

One by one, the fire wolves started to run towards the stars with Randi and her mate up front. Howls filled the air as the wolves of both the living and the dead sung a song that held happiness and sadness all wrapped in one.

Tears pricked my eyes, as I felt this sense of purpose wash over me. Not only was I helping the living out, but I was helping the dead out. I was their voice, their revenge against the Dark Forces.

"No," I whispered, my voice being carried away by the wind. I placed my hand on Matt's when he placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it. A tear leaked out of my eye and hit the water underneath, but I didn't care. "Thank you."