Chapter 7

I couldn't help but smile when I saw that Matt and Faolon were waiting for me by the time that I got back to my house. A smirk appeared on my face when I saw Mia try and flirt with my mate and have him look very uncomfortable.

"Martha," Matt said, catching sight of Brody and I getting out of the truck. Relief filled his eyes as he walked over to me. He pulled me into a hug and pecked my lips, ignoring Faolon's chuckle. "Thank Gods that you are here," he whispered close to my ear. "Your ex-best friend is crazy."

"Matt," Mia complained, coming over to us. "Don't you want to hang out with James and me? Martha isn't that important."

Matt tensed, and I could tell that he was getting angry. He didn't say a word when I pulled on his shirt. However, his eyes said what he wanted to say.

I looked at Mia and frowned. "Why are you over here?" I asked rather rudely. I was tired of her and all I wanted to do was punch her in the nose, but I that my strength could make her lose a few more screws. "Can't you leave my boyfriend and me alone for once?"

Mia scoffed and rolled her eyes. "You should've just went with the geek," she said, causing me to growl softly in a warning. "You two would've been so perfect for each other."

"Ok, I get that you hate me because I am not telling you jack shit, but you need to stop. What I do, what I say and not say is for your protection and benefit, not mine." I glanced at Faolon to see him watching me intently before turning my gaze back to her. "There are things that you do not know and shouldn't have to know. This world is dangerous."

Mia scoffed and rolled her eyes. "I know that already," she said. "But-"

"No, it is more dangerous than you think." I pulled away from Matt and got into Mia's face. I saw that she was trying to hide her fear by the bitchy mask on her face, but I could smell it. "There is some stuff that you do not need to know about," I said, searching her eyes. "These people are dangerous, and if you get into the crossfire, then I could never forgive myself."

Mia frowned. "But, I can protect myself," she said. "We-"

"You can't protect yourself from these people," I said, interrupting her again. "It's hard to protect myself from them, but I will keep doing it because others need me. They need me more than you do." I turned to Matt. "Can you get the bags out, please? I need to talk to Mr. Matthew for a bit."

Matt huffed, teasingly. "Fine," he said. He pecked my lips before going to get the bags. "I did have chocolate, but your brothers took it and locked the door before I could get into the house. I think they ate it. I will treat you to the best burger joint here in town, though."

I smiled and nodded. "All right," I said. I gave one last glance at Mia before walking over to the house. I nodded my head in greeting to my Alpha before pulling out my keys and opening the door. "Boys! You owe me more chocolate!" I yelled in the house, causing my twin brothers to run upstairs and into their room.

A smirk appeared on my face when I heard the door locked and knew that they wouldn't be out until they were sure that I wasn't pissed at them.

"Don't hurt them too badly, Martha," Faolon said, squeezing my shoulder.

"No promises," I replied. No promises at all.

***

I raised an eyebrow at my Alpha when we were alone in my room and folded my arms across my chest. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked, my voice hard.

Faolon shifted from where he was on my bed and tried to look confused. However, he didn't have a good poker face because I was sure that he knew what I was asking about. "About..?" he asked.

"Snakestons," I replied. I saw him grimace and run a hand through his hair. "Why didn't you tell me about them?"

"They are ev-"

"Have you interacted with one?" I asked, interrupting him.

Faolon blinked, and I knew that he hated that I interrupted him. He was an Alpha, and they were a high rank. "Pardon?"

"Have you met one?"

"Have you?"

I nodded. "I met one today. I will be having a discussion with him tomorrow."

"They are-"

"Some are dangerous," I replied. I gestured to my brother who was asleep on a beanie bag chair. "I'll have Brody nearby, and I know the area as well. I don't trust him, but I need information, Faolon."

Faolon frowned. "Why do you need him though? We can get-"

"And who will we risk to be a spy for the Dark Forces?" I asked, raising an eyebrow and ignoring the warning growl that he sent my way. "I don't want to risk someone else. If this Snakeston gets caught, then it is his head, and I think he knows that."

"But why is he wanting to talk to you? Doesn't he know that he can get himself killed?"

I hesitated but nodded. "I think he does," I replied. "But, I need to do this, and I need you to not keep me in the dark with information that could possibly save my life. I am not twelve."

Faolon sighed and looked at his hands. "There is something else, but your parents will need to discuss it with you," he said, finally. He cleared his throat and moved a hand through his hair. "My suggestion is to not ask them about it."

"When can I ask them?" I asked.

Faolon offered me a small, tired smile. "You will know when it is time."

I pursed my lips and nodded. I didn't like it, but I knew that it would be best to let it be. "Are you staying for dinner?" I asked, changing the subject. "I think Mom is cooking steak."

"Of course," Faolon replied. He shooed me away. "Now, go get your mate. He has been waiting for you since forever."

I smiled and opened my bedroom door before rushing to the living room, knowing that was where my mate was at. It had been a while since I saw him, but I was glad that now he was close by. I wouldn't feel incomplete with him around.