Chapter 16

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying to relax my tensed body. I was terrified that I would hurt Marcus and cause the clan of tigers to hate me more than they already did. I knew that Marcus would spread rumors about me, and I had no idea how to make him stop.

Matt took my hand and squeezed it, causing me to look at him and not at the house I had been staring at for the last minute or so. "You know, it might be best to come tomorrow," he said, voicing my thoughts. He looked at me and smirked, knowing that I was going to disagree with him.

I huffed and shook my head, hating that he was making me do this. However, I was grateful for his help because this made me think of the pros and cons. "Marcus will blame me for being weak," I said. "We both know that that isn't the case, even though he will say that it is."

Matt nodded his head and pursed his lips in thought. He looked out the window at the house, his hand still clutching mine. Every so often, he would rub his warm thumb over it, and these... sparks flew between us. "What if you hurt him?" he asked, looking at me again. "I mean, you are not in the best of moods right now."

I shrugged my shoulder, silently agreeing with him. I was still in a pissy mood, and that was because Mia tried to stop me on my way here. I would have almost had gotten into a fight with her if Matt didn't pick me up and literally threw me into the truck. Of course, Brody was no help and kept encouraging me to hit her. "Then, I will have to make sure that someone is holding me back before I beat his ass."

"I would just beat it," Brody said, sticking his head in between us. He licked my face, and I wrinkled my nose and pushed him away. "And, Shardul is watching us. You might want to get out and go to him. You are almost late."

I groaned and shoved Brody into the back before pecking my mate's cheek. "I'll see you when I am done. Stay safe." I glanced at Brody and gave them a look, and they squirmed. "Both of you."

Matt stopped me on the way out of the truck and pulled me in for a heated kiss. "Relax. Ok? You are strong enough to make sure that you do not start a fight. If he starts it, then beat his ass and make him complain to his leader."

I rolled my eyes and leaned in for another kiss when Brody got in my way.

"Speaking of ass-kicking," Brody said, looking at me. He smirked when he saw my glare, knowing full well that I wouldn't hurt him. "Move your ass before you are late."

I shoved Brody before hopping out of the truck. I turned back to look at my mate to find him already staring at me. "Be careful," I said, praying that they would be.

"Or else you will kick my ass," Matt said. "I'll text you when I get to my house, on my way to this house and when I am here. Ok?"

I nodded my head. Worry filled my body because I knew that if something happened to them, I would blame myself more than anything. If my family got hurt or killed, I knew that it would break me, and I was scared of that. "Promise?"

Matt smiled and nodded his head. "Promise." And after that, I closed the door and backed away from the truck, letting Matt drive towards his house.

I took a deep breath and looked to the setting sun. Please protect him, I prayed. I do not know what I will do if he gets hurt.

After I prayed to the Gods to protect my mate, I looked to see Shardul still standing there. I could see something in his eyes, and I couldn't help but wonder as to why he gave up his happiness.

I took another deep breath and walked towards him. I had no idea what was going to happen, but I knew one thing.

I was ready.