One

BEFORE YOU READ THIS STORY: Read the first two stories of the trilogy. The first being 'Until Then', the second being 'Kryptonite'.

"Everything is going to change," Alex uttered, sipping on her ice tea. "At least that's what I thought he said. It was quiet and barely audible."

Lori sighed as she placed her own cup on the table. 

"You're overthinking it. They are just dreams, Alex. Everyone has creepy dreams like that."

"No, you don't get it. It all felt real. Not to mention this has been going on for months. I feel like I'm missing something. Like all of this is to get me to remember something I forgot."

"Maybe it's your pills... Two before going to bed, yeah? Have you been keeping to that?"

"I'm not crazy, Lori. And I'd expect you to at least believe me on that. We've been friends for years. If I had a loose screw, you know I'd tell you."

"Lucid dreaming, Alex, ever heard of that?"

"How many times do I have to tell you it isn't that? They feel like memories."

"So you are trying to tell me that at some point in your life you were in some different world with people you don't remember the names or faces of, you don't remember what significance it has, or what exactly happened there. All you remember is it all had something to do with a W, an H and a five... and apparently, now you think someone said 'everything is going to change'. Admit it, Alex. You've finally lost it."

"Have not!"

"Ever since your suicide attempt, you've been traumatised. And now you are lucid dreaming. Accept it and go ahead with your life."

Alex sighed before sipping her beverage and pulling a sour face at Lori. She never believed in any of her dreams or supported her theory that it was something more but Lori had always been a friend she always felt lucky to have. When she was feeling like an outcast, she was there. When she was in her deepest stage of depression, she was there. When she had attempted suicide, she was there. 

But she wasn't the only one.

"Good evening, ladies. Sorry we're late," Mark apologised, taking a seat beside Alex while Jackson and BamBam sat next to Lori, who was opposite the duo. 

"No problem," the two girls said in unison as Lori pulled out a book and pen.

"What's the meeting for now?" BamBam asked, stealing Lori's drink.

"I booked us at a club for next weekend. Two dollars for each song, if the audience enjoys it and we are there for two hours," Lori announced, earning cheers from the boys. "And if they like us, we might even become regular entertainment." 

"So... practice every day until then?" Jackson asked.

"Of course. But only for an hour though. Alex, being the buzz-kill she is, claims she has to study. Boring, I know."

"I'm sorry that I care for my grades. And besides, you know my brother's results. People have such high hopes for me because of that," she reasoned. "My parents are understanding enough but my grandparents? They would bury me alive if I get anything less than an A."

"Anyway," Lori rolled her eyes. "Jackie, I saw you flirting with Yasmine during Chemistry. Tell me all about it."

Mark sighed at the conversation, clearly not interested in what Jackson was saying. Instead, he turned to Alex.

"Anything new?" 

She didn't need context to know what he meant. Unlike her other childhood friend, Mark was actually intrigued by Alex's dreams. He never hinted that he believed her or even though it could be more than a dream but he never crushed the possibility either. Alex couldn't tell what he thought about it but she was happy that at least he didn't claim she was absolutely bonkers.

"I think I see a pattern," Alex cleared her throat. "A new clue every month on the same day."

"So there's the H, the W and the five. Now what?"

"A heard a voice. And I know for a fact I have never heard that voice before but something about it seemed so familiar..."

"What was it saying?"

"Everything is going to change. Or at least I think... it was barely audible."

Mark furrowed his eyebrows.

"I don't know exactly what that means but I don't think I like it."

"Whatever it is, no need to worry, right? It's in the past. Or at least I think it is."

"What if it isn't though. I mean, maybe it was said in the past but now it's like a warning."

Alex sighed as she ran a hand through her hair.

"I thought that too, to be honest. I just wanted to see it in a happier light."

"Maybe things are changing for the better?"

"Or maybe for the worse. Maybe I'll start remembering more."

"Yeah, maybe."

Suddenly they were interrupted by Alex's phone vibrating. Pulling it out of her pocket, she glanced at the screen, face dropping.

"What?" Mark asked.

"It's a text from an unknown number... and the number is all fives."

He sunk in his chair.

"Ok... that's strange."

"That's not the strange part yet. The text is just plain creepy."

"What does it say?"

"Everything is going to change..."