3

Prompt#2

Practice  focus by writing  about a basketball  player before a big game.  How does he prep his mind?

30 minutes limit.

****

Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale….

I took long deep breaths of the crisp night air as I walked through the streets of my quiet town, earbuds attached to my head from under the hoodie.

Chopin nocturnes were my cathartic music of choice the night before the big game. I let the soothing melodies wash over my nerves and bring peace to my inner turmoils. Tomorrow is the big day. As much as I was looking forward to the game, it was hard to ignore the butterflies in my stomach before every big game like this one.

Years and years of practice would never stop a true athlete from being jittery and anxious about his performance. I mean there are people putting high hopes on me. Fans, teammates, coaches, family, friends. Everyone. I didn't want to disappoint them.

I started my routine by circling the neighborhood for 15 minutes. Just walking briskly, trying to relax my muscles. It always helped. Then I returned home feeling much better.

I prayed. I needed it. It was Another soothing part of my game preparation. I pray before going to bed, and right after waking up.

I enter the house and go to take a warm bath. Then I pray, and go right to bed. I need to rest well to keep my strength.

I woke up refreshed in the morning, my mind still swarmed with so much thoughts on the coming game tonight. Will I be able to make everyone proud? What if I failed? What if I didn't score tonight? How would everyone feel? Goodness! I didn't want to imagine the frustration and disappointment if we lost the game. People are Counting on me.

I shook my head, expelling the bad  thought and jumped out of the bed. No! I'm not going to let the negativity control me now! No time for being a wimp.

I grab my phone and look at the time. 10 a.m. good. I got ten hours of uninterrupted  sleep. Time for a healthy breakfast . I'm starving!

I washed up and changed, and headed to the kitchen. I could eat at least five eggs today! Where's my coffee?

I open the fridge and get a bottle of Gatorade, chugging half of it at once. I didn't want to forget to get some water too. It was hot this time of the year.

An hour before the game.

Inhale… exhale… inhale… exhale.

I think I can do this. I did it before many times.

I close my eyes as I sit in the locker room, recalling each an every shot I scored. Yeah! I did pretty well. I prepared for this. I practiced. I did my best. I followed my coach instructions. I think I can do it this time around. I'm good! Yeah! I will make my team proud. My family will be watching me too. It's going to be a great game.

“ Let's kick some butts!!” The coach yelled, clapping his hands.

My smile widened and I snapped out of my reverie, looking around. All my teammates were roaring with excitement and the room suddenly was filled with the smell of power and adrenaline. There was a buzz in the air. A buzz of confidence that tonight is the night. Tonight is going to be victorious.

***

Ehh! Well, I tried. It doesn't help that I know nothing about basketball or what the players actually do before the game. Any way. I hope you don't mind my attempts at improvised writing.

Much love

Most_bay :)