A Better Way

💀This book has been untouched for a long time. I deeply apologize for that. This will probably be the second to last chapter. I usually end my books pretty sadly unless I start a sequel, but don't get your hopes up. This series will only be one book. Anyways prepare for some tears next chapter and I hope you all enjoy this one even though I had to cut it a bit short.~Maddy💀

I walked into my set up area. It was a small empty apartment building directly across from the bank. The window was big enough to set up a gun, but small and far away enough to be unseen. I felt a chill go down my back. My mind went back to that moment when Gabriel knocked me out on the roof. No. I shook my head and looked through the scope. I shot it four times. Four bodies fell. In the distance I could hear the motor of a ,large truck coming closer. It was my client and his extraction team. They quickly loaded out of the truck in heavy gear and motioned into the bank. I packed my gun and disapeared. I didn't even care. I ran home. I had to check on him.

"Y/N!"

"Gabe? Gabe where are you?!"

He appeared around the corner chuckling at me. I growled under my breath.

"That's not funny!"

"It's a little funny."

"Gabe this is serious!"

"I'm the one going through the pain. You think I don't know that?"

"You're not taking it very serious."

"It's how I cope."

I sighed.

"Do you need anything?"

"I'm good for now. Don't you have any more missions?"

"Not yet."

"Then can you stay for a while?"

I blushed a bit.

"Yeah, I can."

Gabe propped himself on the couch. I took off my coat and laid my head in his lap.

"Will you read to me?" I asked.

"Read to you?"

"Yeah, anything. I just want something to fall asleep to."

"Ok?"

Gabe looked around for a book. In between the couch and the side table was a thick looking book with a hard green leather cover. He pulled it out staring at the title."

"Homer's Odyssey?"

"Yeah, read it love."

I closed my eyes and listened to the meaning in Gabe's words as he read. His voice deep and choppy as usual was relaxing to listen to and I gently drifted asleep. I woke to the sound of Gabriel's phone ringing. It woke him too and he answered it.

"Moira?...Whoa slow down, what are you...ok just hurry and don't get caught." Gabriel hung up.

I sat up a bit putting my hand to the side of his chest.

"What is it Gabe?"

"She said that she invented something useful for me and is coming over to test it."

"What is it supposed to do?"

"I don't know. She sounded too excited and said she'd explain once she got here."

Moira arrived with a huge grin on her face. There was a tiny black case that she quickly set on the counter and opened. I helped Gabe to stand and we looked inside the case. It was a small round device that glowed a luminecent yellow color. I stared at it curiously.

"What is it?"

"I did it. I finally finished it last night!" Moira exclaimed.

"Finished what Doc?"

"It's a device that will keep Gabriel's condition stable! No more medicine or syrum!"

I froze staring wide eyed at the device. Knowing what it was capable of. I looked up at Gabriel. He shared the same expression. It was the first time I'd seen him smile since before the explosion.

"That's amazing news! When can we start?" Gabe asked.

"Whenever you're ready...commander."

I threw my arms around his waist and squeezed him tightly.

"No more experiments!"

"I am happy to say that I have succeeded. You are living proof that I can change a human's genes!"

That night she conducted the surgery. The device was about as big as the rip of my thumb and very thin. It would be put into the back Gabriel's neck that night. I waited. She performed the surgery in my basement. It was dangerous, but she'd done it before. I stayed awake all night waiting until 4 in the mourning I heard footsteps ascending the stairs. Moira appeared. Her face looked worn out and tired. I stood up, nervous.

"How is he?"

"It was successfull. He is resting now. He should be up in an hour or two."

"Can I see him?"

"Ah, I wouldn't recomend that Y/N." Moira said holding her hands up. "He is very tired."

I crossed my arms growing impatient. Why was she not letting me go see him?

"I just want to look. I won't disturb him."

Moira sighed.

"Ok, go ahead." She said softly.

She stepped away from the door. I decended the stairs. The familiar scent of my basement's dust filled my nose. I saw Gabriel lying on the spare bed in the corner. I gasped and ran to the bed, careful not to touch him. He looked worn out. So much work has been done on him up until now. He has finally had his last one, ever. I heard Moira come down. Her heels clicked against the concrete floor behind me.

"Well, it seems like this is it. Reyes has no need for me anymore. It was my pleasure to do this for you two. Give Gabriel my regards once he wakes up." Moira said clasping her hands in front of her.

I turned.

"Wait Moira?" I said. "I'm sure Gabriel wants to thank you himself. Won't you stay?"

She sighed.

"Unfortunately I've spent too much time here. Talon will wonder where I have been. I must go."

"Well, on behalf of Gabe and I we thankyou."

"It was my absolute pleasure Y/N. Good luck in your new lives."

"Goodbye, Moira."

"Slán my dear."

She walked upstairs taking her case and tools. I looked back at Gabriel. I could hear him breathing steadily and calm. I smiled knowing everything was going to work out, knowing there was nothing to worry about anymore. That night I finally got a text from McCree saying that he wanted to meet tomorrow morning.