I might be late for chemistry

Start from the beginning

The others were great and they weren't taking my mood personally, they knew that I was hurting. Everyone gave me my space that day, keeping their romantic lives talk to a minimum. The crew were amazing, bringing me a cupcake every once in a while.

"Hey, Carter. Come watch playback." Max called from his place next to the director. He already had a pair of headphones on and had one in his extended hand. I nodded into my brother's chest before he placed a kiss to the top of my head and let go of me.

I walked over to max and took the headphones from him, placing them over my ears as I waited for the playback.

"We've got two different takes here." The director said, pointing to the two different panels on the monitor. "I want to cut it so we use the angle of Carter in this first take and then the angle of Max in this second take. It'll look something like this." He reeled off before pressing play and showing us the mock-up of the scene.

"Yeah, that looks great. Good idea." I told him with a haphazard smile on my lips, pulling them off my ears and putting them back on the holder. "How long until the next scene?"

"About twenty minutes with all the set ups." The stage manager said with a smile. I nodded and gave everyone a small smile before walking back to Chris who was stood talking to Lizzie.

"I'll be back." I told them softly. Chris nodded with a grin and gave me a soft pat on the shoulder, a simple way of letting me know he'd be there when I came back.

I held my head low as I walked back to my trailer. It seemed that everyone was on set today but nobody was around the trailer park. I enjoyed the quiet, knowing itd be gone when I get back to set.

I pulled the door open and stepped in, letting it slam behind me. My attention was instantly drawn to the huge bouquet of pink peonies sitting in the coffee table next to a card.

My breath hitched in my throat at the sight. I knew exactly who they were from. I picked up the the card and opened it tentatively.

              I didn't forget. I love you.

I placed it back on the table, looking at it. I couldn't throw it away. His handwriting was probably the closest thing I had to him right now. And as stupid as it seems, I wanted something to hold onto.

The shirts I wore in bed that once smelled of him now only smell like laundry detergent, the hoodie I'd stolen from him doesn't smell like his peppermint chewing gum and stupid expensive aftershave he douses himself in.

The sweet smell of the peonies filled my trailer and provided me with some home comfort - my whole house smelled like them with the amount of bunches littered in each room. I breathed it in deeply and exhaled slowly, relishing in this moment.

I debated what to do for a minute, I didn't want to talk to him but at the same time I craved his voice. So I pulled my phone out and sent him a text.

                     Thank you, they're beautiful

I threw myself onto the couch and stared at the flowers. There was no denying that they were crazy expensive, the arrangement of the bouquet told me that alone with the wildflower sprigs mixed in.

It was less than a minute later when my phone buzzed.

                                  I love you.

The simple message made my heart flutter. I know that he loves me, I've known for over two years. But hearing - or even reading - it still has the ability to make me weak in the knees. I span my phone around in my hand, locking and unlocking it, twirling it as I thought.