#8: You're Sick, He Takes Care of You

"Baby?" He asks in the middle of the night, hearing you choke out a cough in your sleep, and it has him anxious, gently running his fingers down your arm. "Hey, sweetie, wake up."

"Hm?" You whine, clearing your throat and scrubbing at your eyes with the back of your hand. "What is it, Ed?"

"Are you okay?" He asks, and you can tell by the way he fidgets with his hands that he's worried, wringing them together until his knuckles are white. "I don't feel very good, if I'm honest," you say, throat sore from the coughing you'd apparently been doing in your sleep.

He makes a sad little sound in his throat, gently pressing the back of his hand to your forehead to find you warmer than normal, biting the inside of his cheek. "I think you have a fever, let me get the medicine."

"I'll go g-" you begin, pushing up off of the bed, only making yourself dizzier.

"No, here," he says, pulling you back down to the mattress gently. "I'll go get it, you're okay. Hang on, I'll be right back."

You watch the back of his messy bed head as he stands and shuffles off to the bathroom, banging around in the medicine cabinet until he finds the bottle he's looking for, dropping it twice before getting the actual medicine.

You try to contain your laughter as you hear the bottles roll across the tiles, his muttered curses as he picks them up.

"Here," he finally says, pressing the tablets into your hand with a glass of chocolate milk, holding your hand and helping you to sit up, propping pillows behind you.

You gave him a wavering smile, sniffling, and his face softened in concern as you took the glass, swallowing the pills.

"Better?" He asked, and you nodded, taking a few more sips.

"Better," you confirmed, handing him the glass as he sat it on the bedside table, pushing your sweaty hair back off of your forehead and kissed it, tracing a thumb down your blushed cheek as he carefully climbed back in bed with you, immediately pulling you into his arms.

"You're gonna get sick, Teddy," you croaked, and he laughed and only held you tighter, "Then you'll take care of me and we'll both be fine."

"I love you," you said, closing your eyes and clearing your throat, feeling your tense body start to relax under his touch, holding one of your hands with his thumb moving gently over your knuckles, and the other tracing his name and patterns and who knows what else on your back, flattening his palm out when you would cough, hushing you.

"Love you too," he said, and he meant it. "In sickness and in health," he smiled, voice going soft and quiet as he started to try to ease you off to sleep, too worried to sleep himself.

You smiled, drifting off, knowing he would be doting over you until you were well, taking your temperature and fixing you soup and tea and running you baths for your sore muscles from the cold.

He really was there, in sickness and in health, and soon he would be sick and you'd be repeating the cycle for him.