Chapter 21

"You're back," Sam says, wiping the tears from his eyes, a wry smile returning to his face.

I move to pick up the book he dropped but he waves with his hand, indicating that I should leave it on the ground and rather take the seat opposite his.

For some reason Sam looks different than what I had seen him the last time we met. When I had pushed him to the floor and Michael had threatened that I was not to see him again. I can see that he had lost weight and there are dark circles under his eyes. Maybe he had lost this weight a while back and I was just so obsessed with my own depression and dying that I could not see the strain it was taking on a person who gave me new life and wanted better for me in the future.

"Did you enjoy the trip?" Sam asks as I take my seat, brushing my hair out of my face. I can see his eyes lingering on my mouth, and I have to make an effort not to wipe over the faded black cross I know is still drawn over my mouth.

"It was eye opening," I reply, still taking in the man in front of me that I still did not realized aged without me even seeing it. He is still handsome, but he looks tired.

"Yes, it has been a time of revelation," he says. I want to ask him what he means, but I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn to find Lucy behind me.

"I think the two of you have some catching up to do. I'm going to get some dinner with Michael. We'll bring you some?" I still wasn't trusting how nice she was being, but still I nodded and waited with Sam in silence until we heard the front door close, and minutes later the car start and drive down the street.

"You look tired," I mention, making Sam drop his head, give a small chuckle and look me back in the eyes.

"Yeah," Sam said giving another chuckle. "That's why I sent Lucy to go and get you. We need to take. There are two urgent matters that need to be addressed. I will start with the minor of the two, but I need you to promise not to ask questions or say anything until I am done explaining."

It has been a long time since Sam has been this stern and serious which makes me immediately worry. Was this the actual moment that he told me from his own mouth that he has had enough? Did he bring me here to say goodbye and that he never wants to see me again? It would explain the tears at least. I gulped at the lump in my throat but I could not get it down. I also could not trust myself to speak. I was back to just listening, so I merely nodded.

"Okay... Like I said there are two serious matters. The one less pressing than the other, so I will start with that one."

Sam waited for me to nod again before he continued. "I saw your mother. She's out of prison."

I could not help myself gasping. How on earth did she get out of jail? It has only been a decade. She wasn't supposed to get out for at least another five years on account of being an accomplice to murder. My dad got life, although I know the prosecutors tried to get him a death sentence. I don't think I will ever be seeing his face ever again. I knew there would be a day that I would know that my mother would be released, but I was sure that it was still years away before I needed to worry about it.

I nodded again when I regained myself, showing Sam that he could continue.

"She came here two nights ago asking about you. She told me that she got out because her mother is on her deathbed. I am sorry Elijah... I never knew that you had a grandmother, and I did not ask a lot of questions, although I did take her number and promised her that I would give it to you if you felt like meeting up with her or meet your grandmother. This is however completely up to you."

I drew in another deep breath and slowly let it out. This was the first time I have heard about some mysterious grandmother still being alive. I was under the intention that she did not have any parents, or that they simply died somewhere along the line when I was little or before I was born. To be honest, with everything going on in my life and the many years I didn't speak a word, I wasn't too bothered with asking about grandparents. The only question I have is why they never asked about me?

Many Words In Silenceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें