Chapter 4: Bernardo

Start from the beginning

My family sat in seats only a few feet from the stairs to the right side while the Northerners sat on the left. At the stage stood a woman senior in age to everyone. She wore a gray robe that swept against the ground.

"Please take your place, your highness," the officiator said while giving a northern bow. I nodded and walked down the center aisle up to the stage in the direction the woman was guiding me toward with an outstretched hand.

"We can begin," the priestess announced. Without pause, music began with no indications of where it was being produced. It surrounded everyone out of nowhere with a symphonic performance of "La Vie en Rose."

I watched Prince Myles turn the corner and walk in the room. He held no flowers and wore the same shade as my suit. Instead of wearing a structured suit, they made his garment out of silk and woven to look casual but elegant. His skin glowed from the continuous golden hour the overhead lighting provided. Over his suit he wore a robe that barely dragged along the ground. He looked good, and I felt bad he wasn't sharing this moment with someone who wanted to be with him. I could see where they increased his femininity, to entice me but there was no change for me physically.

His guard remained at the door while he walked to the stage and stood in front of me. I could see shimmer along the high points of his cheeks and gloss clinging to his lips. They had misted him in a honeysuckle scented perfume. He looked up at me through his eyelashes since he was shorter than me, which was common As quickly as his eyes landed on me he looked away.

"We have gathered here today to join not only two individuals as one. We are here today to usher in a new era of peace, prosperity, and camaraderie between two continents. Prince Myles Porter Cider, of the North American Union, and Prince Bernardo Rouanet hailing from the South American Kingdom will become Prince Bernardo and Myles Cider-Rouanet, rulers of Panama. This Union will not only be one to maintain a treaty, but will hopefully be one of love. This marriage will show the common people of the North and South that we can love, help, and aid one another. With this blood pledge, we will join the continents, and my hope is this message will spread across the world as an example of unity. Now that I have given my spiel, we will perform the blood sealing," the Priestess said. She then pulled in a small Dagger from under her dress.

Gleaming in the light, she handed the blade over to me. I gripped it, feeling the cold weight in my hands, knowing that what I was about to do would seal my fate forever. My family nodded at me expectantly, except for my mother, who held her head up high. I looked at the knife and held my left hand up before I slowly dragged the blade against my palm. I could feel the cold metal slice me open and felt the warm trickle of blood rolling down my arm and being absorbed by the material that made my suit.

Now bleeding, I held the blade by the sharp edge so that Myles could grab the hilt. With a shaky hand, he grabbed the blade and judged its weight. He didn't even look at his family before dragging the edge down his palm and hissing from the pain. That small action showed the lack of a warriors composure, he would never see the battlefield. Blood beaded at his open bound before spilling onto the ground.

"Now place your hands together, and swear this bind will never break," the priestess urged with a smile. I hold my hand up at Myles, who mimicked my actions. We brought our hands together, allowing me to feel his soft callus-free palms.

"I Bernardo Rouanet, swear to never break this bind," I said, feeling my body chill at the words my mind did not want to say.

"I Myles Porter Cider, swear to never break this bind," he said in a voice so soft I had trouble hearing him.

"With the power of all that divine, and scientific I seal you both to the pledge," the priestess said as she placed her hands around her joined palms. I felt warmth spread and the warm feeling of Myles's blood flowing into my open wound as mine did the same to him. After a few moments, I felt the wound closing followed by a maroon light emanating from the priestesses palms as she finished the seal. I knew that blood magic was both time consuming to learn and strained the mind of the user, so it was not surprising to see the priestess break out into a sweat.

"It's complete," she said, removing her hands. I watched as both families stood and applauded the ceremony. My mother walked over to the King and shook his hand with a smile on her face. They both looked more relaxed. My father greeted the Queen with a hug. Her smile although fake was still convincing. My siblings walked over to Myles's crippled sister, and only sibling to show up, and talked quietly as I removed my hand from Myles's.

"Prince Myles," I said, addressing him for the first time.

"Myles is fine," he assured me, his voice laden with nerves.

"Right, it would become annoying to speak to you while using your full title for the foreseeable future," I chuckled. He hummed in agreement while glancing at the door.

"Why are you nervous, we are both in the same predicament?"

I wanted to start the bond off right. I knew there would be no real marital bold without attraction, so I wanted to do everything I could to not become enemies. I was working hard to not place the anger I had with my parents onto him.

"Something is off," he said as our family continued to speak.

"Like what?"

He didn't respond to me, instead he placed his middle and pointer fingers on his eyelids and pulled them down before opening his eyes revealing golden irises and white pupils. His appearance was startling and seeing someone who looked so frail use a top-tier strategic spell was mind-boggling.

"Everyone, there are three armed men above us," he said, using a tone and volume of urgency I didn't think he was capable of. In a split second, the energy in the room changed. Myles's guard was at his side in a blink and mine stayed near the family knowing I was able to handle myself.

"Are you sure there are only three," Celine asked, still as calm as she had been before her brother announced the threat.

"Yes, two have guns and the other already activated a spell. He's probably keeping them cloaked, which is why none of the sensors alerted us of the danger."

"Well, they did a lot of work just to get stopped by a woman stuck in a chair," she said between chuckles. With an outstretched hand that she closed into a fist, the sound of cracking wood and plaster erupted. Dust exploded from the ceiling as three masked men dressed in black collided with the marble floor. Before they could gather themselves, their clothes burst from their original forms and became a spider web only covering their private parts. The men struggled against the threads Celine magically reinforced, gaining no progress.

I lost my bearing and looked at the crippled royal in shock. Those of royal blood had always been people who could manipulate mana intricately and in large quantities. I had known of her afflictions and assumed she was almost powerless, but she had proven me wrong. The roof now opened up allowed cold air to engulf us, stopping the music that had still been playing.

"How dreadful, look to me that there are some who don't want this union to happen, though I do not understand who knew this was happening since I did not announce it yet. You ruined such a happy occasion, and for that I must punish you. I hate having to do this, but a King never gets to put down his duties," King Arnold said to the men. My jaw dropped as I watched him dig into the air and saw a bright light ripple around the men. The room went from chilly to hot, and the light was almost blinding. With a push of the King's hands, the tear in space engulfed the intruders. They screamed in vain before the light disappeared.

"I'm sure glad we have come to a treaty, what frightening power that spatial magic," my father said before clapping. The show of force stuck me in place.

"How do you know that spell," I asked without looking at Myles.

"Sorry about that, it looks like we need a security revamp. Why don't we move to where we will stay for the night and give the newlyweds time to themselves," Queen Norella said? It was like we had not watched men get thrown into the sun. Looking at Myles, I saw his eyes had returned to normal, and I flustered him to the point he was turning red.

There is a lot to learn about the Northerners.