He reached the bottom of the stairs and a dark-skinned man walked to his side, who I assumed was his guard. I looked up at the stair and once more wanting to not feel nervous; I looked on as the Queen wearing a grand dress came into view. It was Victorian in design, made from layered green tulle that hugged her voluptuous curves. The color paired well with her deep tan skin and russet hair. She took her time moving down the stairs and waited for her guard, a tall, short-haired woman with fair skin to come to her side. With each family member accompanied by a guard, they sauntered over to us.

"Your excellences," the head of security, Orion said while bowing along with the other guards.

"Your excellences," the fair woman repeated, her voice laced with a thick accent. Iit was the same sentiment, all while tilting her head to us. I hated the fanfare that came with being a royal.

"Queen dolce and company welcome to the North American Union," my father spoke in his deep baritone voice.

"King Arnold, it's nice to be here on such a wonderful occasion," she smiled at us through her glossed over eyes.

"Let's bring this meeting somewhere warmer," my mother added, putting on her best gracious facade, developed over years of needing to perform the act of kindness towards enemies old and new.

"Yes please, we're used to such a frigid climate," Prince Aécio said. He tried to speak in a dignified manner but I could tell that he was way more laid back than the front he was putting on.

"Please, brace yourselves," my father said as he placed both hands in front of him followed immediately by us appearing in a large room. A large wooden table that was so white it seemed to glow filled it. The Northpoint palace was full of warm air that clung to our skin.

The room that we were in only had one exit guarded on both sides. My ancestors had the wall made from carved white soapstone peppered with streaks of gray that reminded me of smudged ink. The material was also on the floor and the lighting was also a bright white. Other than the table, the room was bare.

"Well, the rumors are true, you are quick," King Aécio said. He looked at my father like a scientist examining an experiment.

"Thank you," my father replied dryly. "How about we all sit and discuss the terms and agreement with the betrothed?"

Everyone moved to take a seat at the table with my father and mother taking the end closer to the exit and the southerners taking the other end. My mother and king Aécio waited for their spouses to sit before they did, and then everyone else followed. Somehow I ended up directly across from Bernardo, who looked at me with a blank expression. I could tell he was not even halfway on board with the marriage. I tried to smile at him to show my reluctance, but he remained stoic.

"I'm glad we can all come together in the name of peace. I know that we all have worried about the animosity that has been building between us when in fact we should always align ourselves. We are the only continents in this hemisphere. Prince Myles, I know that you have not been completely filled in on the parameters of the marriage as you have been doing aid missions. Bernardo also only has the glossy bits of information to keep things fair," the Queen said. Bernardo's posture changed at his mother's words.

"What do you mean," he asked, his voice deep and clear. His tone was reminiscent of an upright bass while my own was adenoidal. I bet he could sing well.

"You two will live in the Panamanian neutral zone. This will be your land to govern as princes until you two can prove that you can rule as kings over the whole of Panama country," my father said. It surprised me to be getting that much since my father had made it clear I would never rule the North. The thought of ruling a state like Panama was overwhelming. The region had been a major point of contention between our countries because of the canal.

"You two will marry shortly and stay here for the night because of your palace needing some minor renovations. Tonight we will expect you two to consummate the marriage which will bind the blood seal that you two will make, which is stated as a requirement for this to work in both of our constitutions. After that you two will need to be the picture of a perfect marriage meaning you will sleep in the same bed, go out together, show affection, and most importantly you two will build a family within the next five years. We need the world to believe that you two are married, more importantly, the people we preside over need to know we stand together. Panamanians are not fond of royalty as they have to face the brunt of the many sanctions and battles between our two monarchies throughout many generations. If they see you two functioning well, many of our sociologists believe that they will embrace the new order and remain peaceful," my mother explained. I looked her in her eyes and nodded my head, unsure of why I did it.

"Why must we lay together at night, I am fine putting on a show but I'm still not a homosexual," Bernardo expressed with grit in his tone. He was biting down on his jaw so hard I could see the blunt outline underneath his skin.

"Because you need to be perceived as married, also we need for you two to believe in marriage. Understand that we will seal this in blood, so there will be no divorce. Your marriage and family will be a living, breathing, growing treaty between our thrones." King Aécio looked at his son with kindness, something my father seldom showed me. He was trying to be as warm as he could while asking something of his son. I was sure he wished he didn't have to ask.

"Will I be able to take part in combat, how will I have a chance at becoming King if I'm some false King in Panama," Prince Bernardo said. I could see in his eyes that all the work he had done to posture himself for the position was fading away.

"You won't," The Queen spoke with a tone of finality in her voice that immediately crushed Bernardo. I watched as the anger followed and he barely restrained himself. His sister looked visibly concerned for her brother beside her.

"You will be the first of Panamanian Royalty. Combat is still on the table for the purpose of defending your state against its enemies," his mother continued.

"Now with that laid out do you both agree," my mom asked, not giving either of us time to think. My sister nodded with a hard smile and my father stared at me ready for me to disappoint him once more.

"It looks like I don't have a choice," Bernardo said. "Let's get it over with."

"I'll do it," the sentiment was the same in my head.