Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I sighed for about the 100th time that night. "No, no one's sitting here," I said, standing up to shake his hand. Smile for camera, I thought as I plastered on my best fake smile that felt more like a grimace. "Nice to meet you." Actually, not so nice..."I'm Rachel-"

"Rachel Starkson, I know who you are. I'm Harry Styles, and it is very, very nice to finally meet you," the flirty gleam remained in his eyes as I suppressed the urge to gag as he brought my hand to his lips and kissed the back of it. This was exactly the kind of guy who I tried to stay away from in Hollywood. Cocky, full of themselves, and, though I hate to admit it, incredibly attractive. But all of his overconfidence canceled out his appearance for me as I tried my hardest not to roll my eyes when he slowly let go of my hand.

"Um, this is my friend, Melissa Johnson. She's a fan of yours," I said, pulling Melissa up by the elbow while swallowing nervously at the way Harry was clearly checking me out. How I had ever been a die-hard fan of his, I'll never know.

He turned his dazzling smile on Melissa and shook her hand, two dimples popping out from his cheeks. "I'm Harry; it's so nice to meet a fan who isn't screaming."

"M-Melissa," she stammered, mesmerized by the very presence of Harry. I breathed deeply, trying to calm myself. Guys like him really made me mad. They think that just because fangirls are throwing themselves at them that the rest of us will be the same. I'm not going to deny, Harry is good looking, and he knows it. But his attitude is just a complete turnoff.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," he said to Melissa, his eyes flitting in my direction. "Would you mind if the boys and I sat over here? It's rather crowded."

"The b...No! Not at all!" Melissa said, still clearly in a trance.

"Brilliant," he replied, flashing those white teeth again and glancing at me out of the corner of his eye. He probably thought I wouldn't notice. Idiot.

"BOYS! Oi!" He yelled to a group of four guys, all dressed very European but matching slightly with each other and Harry. I pulled Melissa back down into her seat and sat down beside her with a huff. This was supposed to be a fun night. Instead, I was stuck sitting between a squealing Melissa and the curly-haired flirt who continued to check me out while whispering to the one who I guessed was Louis. Fantastic. Just fantastic.

I tried to tune out Harry introducing Melissa to the rest of the boys and instead resumed my conversation with Lily and Hailee, leaning behind Melissa to do so. Soon enough though, the lights darkened and the room went black as the movie started, conversation ceasing.

The entire two hours of the movie, I was trying to fight the urge to put my elbow on the arm rest next to Harry. I could see him peeking at me occasionally and flashing Melissa more smiles, which only made her pinch my arm. Hard. Somehow though, I managed to get through those two hours and was relieved when the lights finally came on, and I could stand up and not listen to Harry breathe next to me. Lily turned to me.

"See you guys at the after party, then?"

"Of course. We'll be there. See you soon!" I gave her and Hailee a wave as they walked off. When they were gone, I turned to Melissa with my arms crossed and my eyebrow raised.

"What?"

"You know what," I muttered under my breath, talking low enough so that One Direction, making their way out of the seats behind us, couldn't hear.

"Rach, I don't understand why-"

"Oh, why I'm not drooling over them? Because that Harry guy is one cocky piece of work. It just pisses me off. Come on, the limo's waiting," I whispered. I kept up a brisk pace as we walked towards the exit, just a little farther-