Trust me (A Jay McGuiness Fan Fiction)

“C’mon bro! We’re burning daylight!” Lynn hollered from the living room.

“I’m comin’, I’m comin'!” I answered her, trying to hold back a chuckle. It was only 5:12 (am) and the sun was just beginning to rise, and she thought we were already wasting daylight. I could take as long as I wanted to get ready and we still would have made it to the beach in good time, but I wasn’t in the mood to annoy Lynn today. I pulled my blue and yellow flowered board shorts over the matching suit bottoms and then walked over to the bathroom that was connected to my bedroom. I grabbed a ponytail holder and threw my long straight blond hair into a ponytail. As I brushed my teeth, I grabbed my turquoise ray-bans, a pair of flip flops, board wax, and an old t-shirt. Then, I walked  out of my room to the living room and kitchen, where Lynn was sitting on a stool and munching on a piece of toast. She had her back to the kitchen and was watching the TV. She woke up early every morning to watch the weather to find which beaches would have the best waves. The weather segment was just finishing as I made my way over to the kitchen and grabbed a muffin.

“So, where should we go today?” I asked her, biting into my muffin.

“Pauaeaka,” she answered, “The tides are gonna be perfect. I’m bringing my long board.”

“Sick.” I said before stuffing the rest of the muffin into my mouth and making my way over to the quiver. (cabinet where surfers keep their boards.) I pushed aside the short boards we had been using for the past two weeks and reached for my favorite board. It was dark blue and had golden hibiscus flowers, the symbol of Hawaii, on it. It was one of the first boards I had ever gotten, and it sliced through the water like a knife through hot butter. I set it against the wall and walked back to the kitchen to turn off the TV while Lynn grabbed her board and shut the cabinet.

We left the apartment we shared and entered the outdoor walkway. Luckily we lived on the second floor of the complex, so we didn’t have to head down more than a flight of stairs with our boards.

“I sure hope that weather man is right about today.” Lynn said as we walked down the stairs. “He said there wasn’t supposed to be any rain, but I don’t know…”

“Well, If it does rain, maybe we won’t have to waste board time taking showers before the banquet tonight.” I joked.

She laughed and shook her head. “Harry, I just don’t get how you’re so optimistic about everything.”

I shrugged and turned my attention towards securing my board onto the roof of our beater. A beater is a super crappy car that surfers use for the sole purpose of moving their boards and gear around. Ours was an truely hideous orange colored 1991 Toyota Corolla that was named Wahine Piki, which translated to peach woman in English. Don't ask me- Lynn named it.

When Lynn finished tying her board to the roof we hopped in the car and made our way to Pauaeaka.

Once we got to the beach, we parked the car in our usual spot and removed the boards. We were members of the crew (locals) here, so we had our own spot, its pretty cool, I must admit.

"Alright, meet at four?" Lynn asked, jumping off the chipped roof of the car with her board.

"Sounds good." I replied, giving her a fist bump. and with that we ran in different directions down the white sandy beaches. All surfers, except for maybe grommets (young, inexperienced surfers) know to keep your space when you surf, because if you drop in on someone else's wave, the end is never pretty. I shook thoughts of collisions I had experienced before out of my head and began to scan the beach for the right spot.

Lynn was right. Pauaeaka was perfect today. The pipelines (A kind of wave) were raw and fast, and therefore perfect for boarding. When the light blue waves rose, they created small mist droplets that collided with the sun to make sparkling mini rainbows above the water. Boy, do I love Hawaii I thought as I breathed in the flowery scent of plumeria and pikake mixed with the salty scent of the crashing waves. A faint sea breeze began to jostle my ponytail and slightly sting my eyes. I smiled and continued to scan the beach.

Once I reached a place where the waves were next to perfect, I sat down on the sand and began to spread the board wax onto the flowered surface of my board to give it better grip. Once I had finished, I took off my sunglasses, flip-flops, and t-shirt and threw all of my stuff into a pile, hidden behind a group of rocks.

I grabbed my board from the sand and ran out to the water. When I got to knee deep water, I slid my torso onto the board, causing it to plunge deeper into the water. I kept paddling, stomach down, until I was deep enough to catch a good wave, about a quarter mile from the beach's edge. I stayed paddling for a minute or so until I spotted it. It was perfect, barreling, fast, and most likely, dangerous. I grabbed the edges of my board and hoisted myself to a crouching position on the deck of my board, waiting for the right moment to make my move. Everything felt like it was in slow motion. When I approached the lip, my body slowly and mechanically rose to a standing position. My feet were firm on the board. My knees and back were slightly bent, to enable myself to cope and react to any obstacles I might encounter. My arms were spread out to ensure my balance. My eyes were straight ahead, locked on my target. Bring it, I smiled, I'm ready.

Everything returned to normal speed. My board sliced through the water as I expertly perched on top. Water curved into an arch above my head and sprayed salty mist all over me. This, I decided, was the absolute best feeling in the world.

All too soon, the watch on my wrist read 3:50. I sighed as I pulled my board out of the water. Lynn and I usually spent as much time as we could on the waves, but today we had a banquet we had to work. We both worked banquets at the Kauai Paradise Resort to support ourselves and pay for our apartment. Lynn worked at a surf shop and I taught surfing lessons to take care of any other bills. I walked untill I  had reached my stuff. I threw on my t-shirt and pulled out my ponytail holder so my hair would be able to dry faster. I then picked up the rest of my stuff and made my way back to the Wahine Piki.