Unwanted Dinner Guest

At 5 pm, I shut down my computer. I rise from the seat and pick up my handbag. I move toward the door and look around the office before I turn the light off. I shut the door and turn to leave.

Q steps out of his office at the same time. "I'll see you next week, Lexi. Have a great Christmas." He puts his phone up to his ear and he starts talking to someone.

As I make my way to the lift I see Colter exit his office. He has his phone to his ear. "Alright, Mom. I'll see you in a minute." He ends the call and looks at me. "Mom, wants me to attend a Family dinner with some friends of hers. I don't know whose place I'm going to, but, she told me I needed to attend. Can you believe that?"

I shrug. "You're Mom gas always been weird. Isn't Q going to be here for the rest of the week?"

Colter shakes his head. "No, he asked for some time off right before Christmas. So, I gave him two weeks off." He turns to me. "Do you need some time off as well?"

I look at him. "Can I take Friday off? I need to do last-minute Christmas shopping?"

Colter presses the button for the lift. "Yeah, take Friday off. I'll let everyone know tomorrow that they don't need to come to work on Friday."

The lift doors open and we step inside. A few people from our floor step into the lift and they talk to Colter. He tells them that they don't need to come to work on Friday. "Oh, before I forget the Christmas Party is still on for Thursday. So, I'll see you all there."

Idiot! If I drink on Thursday night I won't be able to drive to the shops. Well, I could always call my brother.

The lift doors open on the ground floor. Colter steps out of the lift and he looks at me. "I'll see you, tomorrow, Lexi."

I wave as the door closes. The next time the door opens it's in the basement. I exit the lift and make my way to the car. I look around the parking lot and see that Colter's car is gone. I climb into my car and pull out of the parking lot. I make my way home listening to Dirt by Florida Georgia Line.

I sing along to the song. As I hit the highway traffic starts to build and I hit the steering.

Damn it. All I want to is get home and relax before dinner.

I look out the window and I see a limo pull up beside my car. The window goes down and I see my Ex-In-Laws and Colter. I beep the horn.

The traffic starts to move. I weave in and out of the traffic. When I see my turn off I turn and head up the hill to my place.

At home, I pull the car into the garage. I exit the car and make my way to the house.

I enter the house and I can smell the roast that Mom's cooking. I walk to the kitchen and see Mom with an apron on that says 'kiss the chef.' I walk over to her and kiss her cheek. "Hey, Mom."

She smiles. "Hey, sweetheart. You need to go upstairs and get ready. I invited some people over for dinner. You don't want them to see you in your work attire."

I walk up the stairs to the bathroom. I look out the window and I see a familiar limo pull over. I watch my Ex-Husband and his family step out of the car.

What the hell is my mother thinking of inviting them to dinner?

I strip out of my clothes and step into the shower. I stand under the showerhead and the water runs all over my body. I pick up the loafer and wash it. I wash my hair and shave my legs before I step out of the shower. I wrap the towel around me and run across the hall to my room.

In my bedroom, I look through the cupboard and I pull out a black dress. I put black flats on and I walk to the nursery.

I'm going to hide out here until dinner. I don't care if I'm being rude. I wasn't the one that invited the Ex for dinner.

I sit in the rocking chair and play with the purple elephant. I rock back and forth. I look around the room and see the books that Mom read to me when I was younger. I hear a knock on the door and I turn towards the door and see Colter.

What does he want?

Colter enters the room. "I had a feeling this would be where you were. I know you're avoiding my parents and me. You know I'd rather be anywhere than here right now? I tried to respect your wishes after forcing you to have breakfast with me this morning. It was stupid of me to do that. Mom didn't tell me the dinner was here. She knew I wouldn't have come." He scratches the back of his head.

He does that when he's nervous. I can't believe I'm the one causing him to be nervous.

I look at the second chair in the room. "Colter, you should..."

He cuts me off. "... GO! I've heard you say that too many times since you've been back." He walks to the door.

"STAY! Take a seat. This was your daughter's room too. This is one of the rooms I can stand to be with you in."

Colter laughs. He walks over to the seat and he sits. He crosses his leg and shakes his head. "I thought I'd never hear you say the words 'Stay' Lexi.

From downstairs, I hear someone yell. "Dinners, ready."

Colter and I rise and we make our way down the stairs.

Colter's Mom pulls me in her arms. "Hey, Sweetheart. I'm glad you're back in town. How have you been?"

I smile weakly. "I've been good. What about you?"

She looks at her son. "It's been hard on him since you left. He's been hanging around the wrong woman."

I sigh. "She's probably the one he slept with before I walked out on him."

Her mouth drops. "I didn't know he cheated on you."

"He came home one night and had lipstick on his mouth and the collar of his shirt. I also smelt a strong perfume on his clothes. The next day when he was at work I left for Australia with my cousin. Colter was pulling away from me before he cheated. But, I never expected that to happen." I look at Colter and he has tears in his eyes.

I walk over to the table and the only seat left is next to Colter. I sit down and wait for Dad to cut the meat.

Once the meat is cut everyone starts piling things on their plate. I pick up a bread roll and put salad on my plate. I take a slice of lamb and pour gravy on it.

I cut the lamb and stick it in my mouth.

Colter leans close to me and he whispers. "Since, when did you start eating small meals?"

I turn towards him. "That's none of your business."

For the rest of the night, Colter and I stayed away from each other.

I was happy when he and his family left at nine. Not long after they left my family decided it was time to go home too. I waved as they drove away. I was finally left alone. I lock the doors and windows and then I went to bed.

 I lock the doors and windows and then I went to bed