Breakfast with the Boss

I am woken by the phone ringing. I roll over in my queen-sized bed and reach for my phone. I swipe my finger across the screen.

Me: Hello, this is Lexi.

Voice: Hey, It's Colter. I need you to come in early. I forgot that I have a meeting at 9.30 and I don't know how to use the photocopy machine.

Me: I'll be there in twenty minutes.

I hang up the phone and climb out of bed. I enter the bathroom and turn the shower on. I step inside the shower and wash my body.

Turning off the water and wrap a towel around my body. I step into the bedroom and go through the cupboard to find something to wear. I pull out a black skirt and a white blouse. I get changed in record time. I pick up my handbag and keys.

Locking the front door and walk over to my car. I climb inside and start it up. I pull the car onto the road.

Twenty-five minutes later, I turn into the parking lot of Kingsman Inc. The security guy steps out of his booth and approaches my car. "Can I see some ID?" I pull out my driver's license and he looks at it. He gives me back the ID. "Oh, shit! I'm sorry Miss Martin. Mr Kingsman is going to have my job if he finds out I checked your ID."

I laugh. "He's not going to do anything. I'm not going to tell him about this. Can you open the gate? I need to get inside before Colter calls me again." The guy walks into the booth and he presses a button. The gate opens and I drive into the parking lot. I pull my car into the parking spot next to Colter.

I step out of the car and make my way into the building. I scan my hand and then enter.

Colter is pacing the floor as I approach the lift. He walks over to me and grabs my arm. "I thought you said you would be here in twenty minutes. Not, thirty."

I pull my arm out of his grip. I poke him in the chest. "Don't you dare touch me again, Colter? You should be happy I got here in record time. I didn't get to have breakfast because of you." I press the lift button and wait for the doors to open.

The doors open and I step into the lift. I lean against the wall. While Colter stands on the other side. I cross my arms and look at him. "You owe me breakfast. As soon as we get upstairs you should order us something to eat."

He shakes his head. "You're my secretary. You shouldn't be doing that, not me."

I mutter. "You've become a lazy arsehole."

"Huh?" he asks. "Speak up, Lexi."

I move towards him. I stare into his mesmerising baby blue eyes. "When did you become a lazy arsehole?"

He pulls me towards him and he lowers his head. His lips brush against my ear as he whispers. "Since, you walked out on me. We were grieving the loss of our baby girl and you just walked out on me."

I push him away. "You left me a long time ago." The lift door opens and I run out of it. I walk to the bathroom and lock the door.

I hope he doesn't come looking for me.

I wash my face and look into the mirror. When I look semi-normal I exit the bathroom and walk over to my desk.

Colter exits his office. "I ordered breakfast it should be here in fifteen minutes. The paperwork I need to be copied is on your desk. I need sixteen copies of each."

I pick up the papers and move toward the photocopy machine. I put the paper into the copy machine and it scans each piece of paper. I type into the machine how many copies I need. I sit on the seat next to the machine.

Q enters the room and he looks at me. "What are you doing here so early?"

I look at the machine. "Colter, woke me up because he forgot to get me to photocopy things for the meeting today."

He shakes his head. "There's no meeting today. My brother is up to something."

I nod. "I know." I look at the ground and whisper. "He showed up at my house last night."

Q leans against the wall. "What did he say?"

I shrug. "I told him to go home to his fiancé. Do you know why he's being a pain to me?"

Q closes the door. "Colter misses you. He won't admit it to other people. But, from the moment you stepped foot in here; I've seen him smile. It was the biggest smile I've ever seen. He fake smiles with that girl. He goes along with everything she wants. He can't make his mind with what he wants. She's poison for him. You're the cure."

I shake my head. "I don't want to be the cure for him. I don't want to repeat mistakes with him." The copies finish. I exit the room with the unstapled papers.

As I make my way to the office I see a delivery guy enter the office. He holds up the bag for me. "I have a delivery for Colter Kingsman."

"Follow me." I show the guy to his office. I open the door and walk-in.

Colter looks at me. Then he looks at the delivery guy. "Right on time." he pulls out fifty and gives it to the guy. "Keep the change."

The delivery guy puts the food on the table and then he exits the room.

I sit across from Colter. I throw the papers in the air. "Why did you call me into the office? I know that you don't have a meeting today. Q told me."

He rubs the back on his neck. "I didn't know how to ask you to have breakfast with me."

I open the bag and look inside. I see begets in the bag and I pull one out. I pick up the coffee and head towards the door. I open the door and turn towards him. "Next time, tell me the truth, Colter. I don't like being fucked around. That's something you know about me. Can you also not just show up at my place? It was inappropriate last night."

He rises. "Lexi, I don't want to lose you again."

I sigh. "You, won't. I'm staying in Los Angeles. My cousin and I are opening another business right here in Los Angeles. Where I'll be running the company. Maddison is going back to Sydney to set things up for her departure from Australia. Then she'll be opening her store in New York where she'll be living permanently." I sit at my desk.

Q exits his office and walks over to me. "What did he want?"

I sigh. "He got me here early so he could have breakfast with me. I don't know why he didn't just ask."

Q laughs. "Would you have accepted to have breakfast with him?"

I shake my head.

"There's your answer." He sits. "You should have food with him. Listen to what he has to say. That way you two can get closure; if that's what you want. Or it could be the start of you two getting back together and having the family you both crave for." He leaves me with my thoughts.

Do I want to get back together with Colter? Or do I let him be happy with someone else?