Back In LA

At the airport, Madison and I walk through customs. She turns to me. "Who do you think is here to pick us up?"

I shrug. Walking over to the luggage claim area and wait for my suitcase to come around on the carousel. When I see my bag I lift it and put it on the ground next to me.

Madison picks up her suitcases and makes her way over to me. "Let's see who the lucky family member is. I hope it's your brother. I'm not in the mood to see our parents. They will harass us about being single."

I laugh.

That sounds right when it comes to our parents.

At the arrival terminal, I see my brother and I run over to him.

He lifts me up. "Hey, sis. It's good to have you back in town."

I scrunch up my nose. "I didn't want to come back. But, it's been years since I had Christmas with the family."

Benson lets me go. "Please, tell me you're going to stay?"

I nod. "I'm staying," I whisper.

Madison walks over. "Hey, Ben. I was hoping the fam would send you."

He rolls his eyes. "Hey, Mad. I was hoping that you would stay in Sydney."

She slaps his arm. "Nah, can't miss out on the family get together. You know it's compulsory for us all to be here for Christmas.

I look out the door.

My Ex-Husband walks in and he looks directly at me. I see a blonde throw herself into his arms. He kisses her and she runs her fingers through his hair.

Benson turns to what has held my attention. "You've got to be shitting me. That arsehole is here. I'm going to kill him." He starts to head in his direction.

I grab my brother's hand. "Don't, can we just go home?" I grab the handle on the bag and whisper. "Do you think that's the woman he cheated on me with?"

Benson nods. "They've been seen together since you left. The gossip magazines have called her a homewrecker and she's the reason you left here."

"That was one of the reasons I left Los Angeles."

Benson hugs me. "The other was your daughter right?"

I nod. "After Peta's death, Colter started to pull away from me. He stopped talking to me and coming home late from work. I spent most of my time in the nursery. It was painted and set up the way I wanted it."

Colter moves away from the girl and watches me leave the arrival terminal with my brother and cousin.

Benson leads us to the car and he puts our suitcases in the boot. I walk to the front seat and climb into the four-wheel drive. Benson pulls out of the airport and drives an hour to the house.

At the mansion, I climb out of the car and make my way to the front door

At the mansion, I climb out of the car and make my way to the front door. Mom opens the door and hugs me. "I'm glad your Home, Sweetheart. How long do plan on staying?"

I smile. "I'm back for good."

Mom steps away from me. "Good, now, let's get you some food. You're too skinny."

I roll my eyes. "I'm not hungry."

Mom ignores my protests and pulls me to the kitchen. "You will eat. Then we'll talk about your stupid plan on buying into Kingsman Enterprises?"

I fold my arms across the table. "How do you know about that?"

No one was supposed to know.

Mom laughs. "I know everything that happens in this house. You're the first to invest your money into a company that is failing. If I didn't know any better I'd think you were stupid. What I can see is that you're an opportunist when something fails you bring the company back to the top where it belongs. I've seen that with the company you own."

I pick up the sandwich and take a bite.

After lunch, I go upstairs and put a few things away. I open my favourite book and pull out the ultrasound pictures of my daughter.

I haven't seen these pictures in years.

They bring tears to my eyes.

A knock on the door brings me out of the trance. "Come in."

Mom enters the room and sits next to me. She looks at the pictures. "I miss her too, sweetheart. She was a beautiful girl and she looked like Colter and you."

I look at her. "Did you keep the photos of my daughter that you took?"

She nods. "I put them in an album with the ones of Colter and you holding her. I knew someday you would want to see them."

"Thank you."

Mom rises and moves to the door. "Lexi, come with me. I'll get the photos for you now." She holds her hand out to me and I take it. She leads me to her bedroom.

When we get to the door she opens it and we step inside. I move toward the bed and sit. I look around my room and see a photo of Mom and Dad holding my daughter.

Why didn't they put this one with the rest of the family photos?

Mom places the album on the bed. "I bet you're wondering why this picture isn't with the others." I remain quiet and she continues. "I didn't know how you would react seeing it if you came home. So, I put it someplace your father and I could see it. This picture is a reminder for your father and me. It sends a message 'Life is short. Live like it's your last day.' Peta was surrounded by love the day she died. She got to experience the love from two loving parents and two sets of Grandparents." She looks at the ground. "Why did you leave LA with your cousin?"

I look at the ground. "Colter, came home from work one night and he had lipstick all over his shirt. He didn't say anything to me as he walked up to the bedroom. I cried myself to sleep that night. The next morning I decided to go to Australia with my cousin." I lift my shirt and show her my wrist. I have a scar on it from where I slit my wrist. "Colter, worked back one night. So, I grabbed a butcher knife from the kitchen and walked up to the nursery..." I trail off as tears fall down my face.

Mom hugs me. "I should have kept a better eye on you after you lost the baby. But, I didn't know how to handle my grief and worry about you."

I shake my head. "Mom, you couldn't have done anything to help me through it. The one person I needed the most detached himself from me. He was consumed with his grief that nothing else mattered. I didn't matter to him after that." I whisper. "I saw him today with some blonde."

Mom smiles. "Do you know what we should do tonight?"

I shake my head.

"We should go to the bar with my sister and your cousin." Mom picks up the landline and exits the bedroom.

I pick up the pictures and take them to my bedroom.