Chapter 8: Like a sore thumb

Claire's Pov

I walk out of the shower relieved and relaxed, despite the nagging urge to eat that is knocking in my stomach. Sadly, hunger isn't the only thing clawing at my stomach. I don't know what to think with my dad sometimes, it's a constant battle with him. He's stiff and see's everything as a buisness deal, that he doesn't do anything unless it benefits him. So what leaves the confusion and annoyance in my abdomen is simply the question, what is he doing this for? He was the one who saw it as a bad thing to be engaged to Harry, and now he's casually conversing with like he's, Liam.

I tie my hair back, since I don't have the patience to straighten or air dry it in my own way. A simple shirt and jeans is put on after I'm lotioned and well awake. Lacing up my converse, I feel like I'm sixteen again, walking to school on Monday mornings. Since I refuse to eat in the same room as my over-bearing father, I decide to simply just go out and eat. And I know just the place.

I walk down the street, snuggling into my scarf and jacket with a small smile on my lips. I didn't see her there last night, so I'm guessing that she doesn't know that I'm here. I can't help the little skip in my steps as I walk down the pavement, until I stare up at the old wooden sign. It's worn but it makes it look especially vintage, with the words 'Crepe's De La Paris' written in red caligraphy. I'm inside and divulging in the old scent before scanning the shop, my eyes falling on the tall brunette busting tables.

"Welcome, how may I help-" I stand with a big smile as her sentence falls short and I'm greeted with her infamous squeal. "Claire!"

"Eleanor!" I squeal back before running and crushing her in my arms. She giggles into my neck as I squeeze her with all of my might, her doing the same.

"Oh, my god, let me see you," she pulls me at arms length and moves a loose tendril that fell from her bun behind her ear, as she bites her lip and smiles brightly. "Just as gorgeous as you were the last time I saw you."

"Speak for yourself," I exclaim as I stare at her bun,"Ombre suits you." I smile, before sighing and pulling her into another hug, "I've missed you so much."

"Oh god," she whimpers while digging her nose into my neck, "I've missed you too. It's been the most boring 3 years without you."

"Awe come on," I tease, "I'm sure I'm not that fun."

We make crepes with the help of the chef's, me eating a strawberry nutella crepe after the morning rush. Eleanor tells me about all that happened since I've been here, she tells me how her parents gave her the cafe after she graduated culinary school, and the shop has been booming every morning. She tells me that most everyone left after highscool beside Liam her and a few others, making it a town full of mainly new families or old people. And apperently Eleanor had just gotten back from a bakery convention in Seattle, so she didn't get home until late last night.

"Oh my god," she nearly chokes on her coffee as she glances at what I presume is the huge boulder on my finger, "What the hell is that?"

"Oh that," I nearly choke as well as I laugh nervously laugh, "I'm engaged."

"Well I see that, the damn thing sticks out like a sore tumb," she grasps my hand with her mouth agape as I chuckle nervously. "When? Bloody better who?"

I chuckle as I gaze at the ring myself, feeling myself start tearing up again. I'm going to have to lie to her too. "Well, he proposed in New York but he surprised me and re-did it last night at the 'welcome home' party my mom planned, if that even makes any sense."

"Well who's he? What's his name?"

"Harry," I say, not even noticing how dead-panned I sounded.