Chapter 2: The bloody devil

Claire's Pov

The walk to David's office consisted of  multiple nervous glances towards Harry. As much as I hated to admit, I knew what that mindless stare meant, he's going to fire someone. This is what often aggrivates me, about being his secretary. I had to watch him be mercilessly rude to some poor soul who most likely screwed up once, that being enough for Harry, then continue obeying his every word. He didn't return any of my glances, his green stare loocked straight ahead. He is an ass, but he's an attractive ass. He has pointed features aside from his lips, which were curved and supple. Other than that, his nose was pointed, his jaw so sharp , it's probably what he uses to sharpen his pitchfork. He's the definition of an oxymoron, amazingly good looking, then incredibly and awfully rude.

"Go easy on him," I mumble desperately,"The poor guy has been through a lot."

"Oh, my dear, clueless little Claire," he chuckles, obnoxiously slurping on his coffee. I hate when he does this, makes me feel like a child even though he's only 5 years older than me. I secretly wanted to tilt the cup up so that it spilled over his overly expensive suit. "There is no going easy in life."

I clench my fists and bite my tongue, ignoring just how more aggravated he's making me today asside from his usual dose. Everyone stares over their cubicles, watching him pace with purpose opposed to me just trailing behind him. Carmen eyes me with worry as Harry turns into David's office. I shrug at her, though knowing full well what is about to happen. He doesn't even knock, he just steps into the room. David looks up, his older taste in furniture showing as a arm chair rests in the room. A mahogony bookshelf full of books that could possibly be older than me, and a kuku clock resting on the wall closest to his desk. I stand near the door, fidgeting with my lower lip.

"Mr. Styles," David says as his eyes crinkle with a genuine smile. Harry momentarily pauses, grinning but only for a split second, before it returns to his usual hard stare. David cowers back in his chair, taking off his circular glasses and placing them on his desk. I really don't want to watch this, I can't.

"I'll be waiting outside, Mr. Styles-"

"Uh uh," Harry muses, raising his cup back up to his lips,"I need my right hand women beside me at all times."

I cringe, moving my hand from the handle of the door. I don't know how he could be this cold, he couldn't even pretend to put on a fake smile or anything. David was getting rusty with his work, due to his old age. I'm pretty sure that everyone in the office knew he should retire sometime soon, but Harry couldn't even seem a bit more concerned for David.

I wouldn't even be surprised if he didn't pay attention to the fact that David was still 10 times wiser, not to mention kinder.  David is now fidgeting with his wrinkly aged hands. I can tell that even for a man who forgets things every other second, he remembers what Harry is like when he unleashes his wrath on innocent victims. I mentally apologize to David, sad that I couldn't even leave him a little bit of dignity, sparing an audience. I met his kids, and his grandchildren at the Christmas party, and they were rather lovely people. He had a very close-knit connection with the rest of his family.

"What brings you to my office today Mr. Styles?" David asks with caution, keeping a smile on his nervous face.

"I came regarding Mr. George Paul," Harry says, resting one of his palms in his pants pockets," I asked you a week ago to inform him on my proposition on an interview and possible future books, and yet again, you've forgotten."

I furrow my eyebrows in disbelief. He basically threw David's condition back in his face, adding a bit of his natural sour and rudeness. My mouth parts, and I stare sorrowfully at a fidgeting David. Poor guy, I sometimes feel like maybe Harry was the cause for his sensative memory, when I know full well it all had to do with his age. But how much sense would it make? I mean Harry did throw a lot of responsibilities on David, one after the other, and it must be hard for a man of his age.