16

"Up next, we have Asher Daniels, representing Exeter!  Give it up for Asher, who's singing All Of Me by John Legend!" A round of applause was heard.  I sat backstage, watching the TV that showed the act on stage.  To say that I was nervous would be an understatement.  I was quite the introvert, and I've never really performed to an audience this huge before.  I decided to do this because I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get involved in music now, before it was too late.  I knew that each year of biochemistry would get harder and harder, and if I really go on to postgraduate medicine, there would be no time for extracurricular activities.  I tried to think of everything Calum had taught me and the good times we had together to calm myself down.  I felt my hands turn cold and sweaty, so I rubbed them against my black skinny jeans.  I needed to warm my hands up so that I could play guitar.

After 3 minutes of mindlessly playing the guitar solo I prepared for my performance, Asher ended the song and another series of cheers and hollers were heard.

"That was an amazing performance Asher, thank you!  Now we have Maya Stewart, representing UCL, who's going to sing Lost In Stereo by All Time Low.  Give it up for Maya everybody!" I stood up as my heart started pounding in my chest, hearing multiple ventricular systoles occurring per second.  Lub dub, lub dub. Well, here goes nothing.  I went up the stairs towards the stage and smiled.  I plugged in my white Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro guitar into the amp, like I was so used to over the past few weeks.  I stood behind the microphone and smiled at the crowd.  I quickly scanned the crowd to feel my heart heavy.  The one person I was hoping to be here wasn't here.  Pushing my thoughts aside, I looked to the left to find Lia waving and screaming at me, in the front row.  I grinned and waved back at her.  I wrapped my palm around the guitar neck, and placed my fingers on the cold metal strings.

She works for the weekend

Mixtape of her favourite bands

Tearin' up the radio

Lost in the stereo's sound

She's trouble in a tank top

Pretty little time bomb, blowin' up

Take you down, living in the radio

Lost in the stereo's sound

She's dancing alone

I'm ready to go but she's so

Lost in stereo, lost in stereo

She's out of control, so beautiful

In stereo, lost in stereo

And I've been waiting for so long

But she'll never know

I'm losing hope 'cause she's so

Lost in stereo, lost in stereo

Shake down on a Saturday

Sit back, gotta catch my breath

'Cause every time I see her

I know she's gonna take it back somehow

Tattoos and a switchblade attitude

Snakebite heart with a bubblegum smile

Sex in stereo, don't turn the radio dial

She's dancing alone

I'm ready to go but she's so