Book 1: A Time To Be Happy

Chapter 4

It was her first kiss but she was surprised with herself because she did not hold back. When Rody kissed her, she kissed him back – she was too amused by him she could not let the moment pass.

They kissed passionately in the empty hallway, her hands on his shoulders, neck, hair and face but his, just on her waist. For a moment they forgot they're in school and might be caught but it was worth all the risk. They looked at each other after breaking apart, her lipstick around his lips, their eyes, wide and shining, cheeks blushing – they laughed at themselves.

Rody held Leni's hand and levelled with her gaze.

"I like you, Leni."

She smiled and giggled. She gave him one last peck on the lips before she sprinted to the other side of the hallway.

It was a kiss she could not forget.

--

The next few days have been busy for their class. Everyone was trying to finish their requirements and Leni, not wanting to disappoint her father, did her best. She could still not forget their kiss but whenever she looks at Rody, he's always busy with something else. She braced herself for what could come – it's over – he got what he wants from her and he would not talk to her anymore. It is okay, she said. She barely knows him anyway.

During lunch he noticed that the boys were moving big boxes of stuff to the evacuation area. He approached Jess.

"Jess, ano yan?"

"Ma'am Leni! Ah, para sa outreach program sa Sabado. Pinapalagay na sa amin sa sasakyang jeep – sasama ka ba sa Sabado?"

"Oo, nakatoka ako magluto."

"Naku masarap yan. Basta wag lang masyadong maanghang Ma'am, alam mo naman baka mag-init nanaman si Rody," he teased her.

She slapped him in his arm and shook her head. It hurt her a bit to hear his name.

"Ma'am balita ko," Jess closed in to her.

"Mr. Dureza!" Leni called him out and he stood like a soldier. People around them laughed.

"When it's work time, work! Go! Bitbitin yan sa open area."

"Ma'am yes ma'am!" he replied and moved the boxes. She laughed at him as he went off.

She just finished her list of things to buy. She walked to her car and decided to go to the grocery. She saw Rody waving off his friends as he got out of the gate.

When he passed by him outside the gates, she opened her car window.

"San ka papunta Sir?"

Rody looked at her and smiled. He looked dirty – most likely for moving all those boxes – white shirt, stained, maong pants, ripped, hair and face drenched in sweat – but still as charming.

"Dyan lang ma'am, lalakarin ko nalang."

"Sure ka sir? Dyan din naman ako dadaan."

"Baka makaabala ako."

"Okay, sige. Ingat ka." She smiled sweetly at him as she closed her windows and watched the darkening sky. It looks like it's going to rain any moment now.

Rody waved at her and she waved back. She let him walk first and she slowly followed behind him.

After a few minutes, the rain poured – and it poured hard. She giggled to herself as she looked at him, him looking at sky probably cursing the heavens as he sprinted. She followed him closely behind.