Book 1: A Time To Be Happy

Chapter 1

Rodrigo Duterte is the redefinition of the word “Summa” – sumasampung taon. He’s been on his third year as a graduating student in college and is going strong – to repeat again.

“So ilang taon ka na bago mo pa balak grumaduate?” Jun Yasay, his best friend joked him while waiting for their next professor.

“Siguro kapag mag-asawa na kayo ni Cecile. Pare, ano ba? Kelan mo ba balak ligawan yun? Unahan na kita!”

“Dut-“

“Good morning class!”

“Good morning Ma’am!”

Jun slapped Rody’s arm very hard that the sound echoed in the room. Their classmates laughed.

“Jun at Dut, kayo nanaman!”

“Ma’am, si Jun po may kasa-“

He noticed the newcomer beside his professor. She was wearing a short-sleeved light yellow blouse and a flowing knee-length blue skirt. Her hands are in the front and she was looking at him.

With those deep-set eyes.

She looked amused.

But her smile. It just made him stop and forget everything he’s about to say.

“O ano, Duterte? Anong kasalanan ni Jun?” Their classmates continued laughing at them.

“Ako po may kasalanan ma’am,” He replied slowly, as he looked back at her. He noticed that her cheeks flushed. He gave him a small, shy smile.

“Sabi ko na ikaw naman talaga palagi pasimuno, naku, kurutin ko singit mo e,” The professor scolded him and Rody felt his cheeks flushed. He felt embarrassed because the lady beside their professor laughed softly, putting her handkerchief over her mouth, while looking at him. Punyeta ka Ma’am, he cursed her in his head.

Ang ganda niya.

Bakit ang rupok ko sa mga ganitong klaseng babae? Ang cute niya tumawa. Ang-

“Rodrigo Duterte!”

“Ha?”

The classroom erupted into the loudest laughter. “Ano ba!?” The professor suddenly held her stick.

“Ma’am!”

“Sabi ko, umupo ka na! Ano, tatayo ka jan maghapon, gusto mo?”

Jun Yasay held his stomach as he can’t stop laughing at his best friend. Jess Dureza patted Rody’s back, also laughing hard, asking him to sit down.

“Yes Ma’am!”

When the class settled down, the professor introduced the newcomer.

“Class, I’d like you to meet Leni –“

“HI LENI!” The class greeted her in unison.

“Patapusin niyo muna ako, utang na loob!” The class laughed again.

“Okay, this is Leni Gerona, your new classmate. She’s an econ student from Naga and she moved here at Manila to continue her studies. Please treat her well, okay?” Leni slightly bowed to them.

“Yes Ma’am!”

“Okay, so saan ka uupo – “

“May bakante po sa tabi ni Dut Ma’am!” Jess Dureza suddenly volunteered. The professor furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head violently. The class laughed.

"Strike 2 ka na sa akin Ma’am, kala mo," Rody muttered under his breath. Jun and Jess suppressed their laughter.

“Dito ka nalang sa tabi ni Gina,” The professor showed her the seat. Gina excitedly held her hand and her bag and helped her to settle down.

Rody turned to his friends, a bit disappointed. “Bakit sa tabi pa ni Gina?”

Jess, still not recovered from his suppressed laughter replied, “Pare, andun kasi ung isang bakanteng upuan. Type mo no?”

“Type niya, halata naman.” Sonny suddenly interrupted, smiling to all of them. “Makinig na tayo kay Ma’am, mahuli pa tayo,”

“Bahala siya, punyeta.” Rody replied, as he buried his head in his textbooks. His friends looked at each other and smirked to themselves.

--

“Hi Leni,”

Leni looked up from her readings and saw Jun, Jess and Sonny in front of her. She smiled at them and extended her hand. “Hello, nice to meet you,”

“Jess, Jun tsaka si Sonny,” Jess introduced them one by one as she shook their hands. “Taga Naga ka pala.” 

“Oo, kayo ba?”

“Davao,”

“Ay talaga. Teka, di niyo ata kasama si Rody?”

“Nasa prefect’s office,” Jun quipped and they laughed.

“Taga-Davao din siya?”

“Oo,”

“Ah. Madalas ba siyang napapatawag sa prefect’s office?”

They laughed again. “Oo,”

“Bakit? Madalas siyang napapagalitan?” She asked curiously.

“Hindi. Type kasi siya nung prefect.” They laughed harder.

Leni smiled at them. While the boys talk among themselves, she remembered what Gina told her about Rody earlier. He’s a chronic repeater but he is one of the brightest men in the class. He’s very charming and a lot of people know and like him. Together with his friends they can be very mischievous towards other people but they also do regular volunteer work to the school's charity organization. She decided that she wanted to be friends with them.

 --

The bell rang and the school day has ended. Leni decided to check out the library. As she entered the room, she noticed Rody talking to the librarian – while holding her hands.

“Ano, mamaya? Puwede ka?”

“Rod, mamaya na, di pa ako mag-oout.”

“Kaya nga mamaya e.” He was flirting with her. She shook her head as she approached them. “Excuse me,” she said softly.

Rody didn’t look at her but he stepped to the side, still holding the librarian’s hands. “Rod – ano ba, may customer.” She said to him lovingly as Leni looked on. The librarian faced her. “Ano yun?” She said a bit irritably.

“Dito ko daw icclaim yung library card ko.”

The librarian laughed. “Malamang, eto yung library e. Pangalan?”

“Leni. Leni Gerona.”

Rody suddenly looked to his side, a bit shocked. Leni smiled at him. He smiled back. “Saglit,” The librarian scoffed and left.

“Pasensya na naistorbo ko kayo ng jowa mo,” She said, not looking at him.

“Hindi ko yun jowa. Rody, nga pala,” he extended his hand.

“Leni. Nice to meet you,” She shook his hand. He held her hand after the handshake that she looked at him. She laughed. “Bakit?”

“Ang ganda mo, Leni.” He said sincerely and she was taken aback by his words. The librarian came back with her card and slammed it to the counter.

“Wag nga kayong maglandian dito, library ‘to!”

Leni’s cheeks flushed as she removed her hands from his grip. She took her card. “I’m sorry,” she muttered and left.

Rody looked on. This is a time to be happy.