Chapter 7

Chapter 7

                We were getting out of the house today. We were told if we even thought about escaping we would be shocked until we contained enough electricity to power a city. I was unaffected by their threat, I was going to use today to scout out and plan a good escape route. After we had gotten ready and eaten an unfulfilling meal, a box of mini muffins, we were ready for ‘training’. What has my life come to.

“You will get out of the car immediately after the car comes to a stop. You should be out of the car opening the doors for your man before the car is turned off.” Chris said from the front of the single file line we were in. Chris was in the front following him was Lena, Kylie, Me, Halle then behind us half of the men followed causally. Jamie and another guy got into a SUV, license plate QWU666K. I repeated the plate number over and over in my head as we walked. We came out the front door of the house and were walking around to the clearing in the back.

“We will have a simulation of a car situation. You stand in your person’s shadow the whole time after you have escorted them out of the car. You are to follow gracefully and only stand in front of your person to open doors if needed.” Chris said and then came to a stop in the middle of a clearing. 

Jamie pulled up in the car and rolled down the window.

“Jamie and Alex’s shadows you will start in the car.  Gabe and Dylan’s you will start over by the back of the house.” When we didn’t rush off we were all met with shocks. We pulled at our collars and whimpered. I grabbed Halle’s hand and tugged her in the direction of the car. I dropped her hand to go around to the other side of the car but halfway to the door Halle let out a surprised scream. I ran back around to see Chris send a kick to Halle’s side and send her flying in my direction. I caught her in my arms and put her behind me shielding her from Chris.

“You think that you would ride in the seats of the car?” Chris asked with absolute confusion and anger. As if we were back in 50’s and we were two black women trying to ride in the front of the bus.

“Get in the trunk and be thankful it’s a SUV.” Chris demanded. We were met with another smaller shock for our moment’s hesitation before I scrambled to open the trunk door. Halle hopped in and pulled the top down after I was seated next to her. I saw a few stray tears leak from her eyes. I grabbed her chin and mouthed You ok? She nodded and wiped her eyes. Her expression turned from hurt to determined.

We lurched forward and peeled out of the clearing and onto a dirt road. We were flying down the path and each bump would send me and Halle flying.

“WHOOOO!!! Jamie yelled from the driver seat. I turned to look at the front of the car and saw another guy in the back seat that I hadn’t seen before.  Then the other guy who was in the passenger seat… I think his name was Alex. (Gross now I was on a first name basis with these creeps) Had half his body out the sun roof and was laughing as wind disrupted his voice so he sounded kind of like a broken robot. I grabbed the head rest and Halle’s arm as we did a sharp right that turned into multiple doughnuts. I bit my lip to stop from screaming and since I didn’t hear anything out of Halle I figured she must have had the same idea.  I kind of hoped that we would hit a tree so that Jamie, Alex and the other guy would die on impact, but I knew if we made a run for it we would be shot before we made it two feet down the road. We were still what looked miles from any civilization and still in range of the house.

We sped out of the donuts in the direction of the house and skidded to a stop about 200 yards from where Kylie and Lena stood in the shadows of their guys. It made me sick. I would see why gangs would do this. If this was a movie it would look pretty BA with men standing there with girls in their shadows showing they have it all. Beside morals. They had absolutely no morals. They had no respect for anyone other than themselves. I pity them. Even as a slave I have a better life then they do. Life is nothing without love and respect for others.