Chapter 9

Chapter 9

                We were lined up in the living room waiting for Chris to speak. I knew I was in big trouble and I think I unfortunately brought my fate upon the other girls.  While getting ready I assessed my injuries. I had a bad bump on my head with a slowly healing gash, it wasn’t bleeding anymore though. Beside the dizziness I have some sever bruising.   

“Brown shadow, step forward.” Chris cold voice demanded.  He was facing away from us because he was talking to the other guys who were going about their morning routine.  I slowly step forward and lower my head.  I look left and right and the other girls have worried expressions on their faces. 

“Do you think…” Chris started “That you could pull a stunt like viscously attacking Mark and it would just be forgotten.” I didn’t dare speak a word. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mark move around Chris and stand directly in front of me. I knew what was coming so I had braced myself when Marks hand collided with my cheek. The force of the slap whipped my head to the side and my face stung like you wouldn’t believe. But I just lifted my head and glared at Chris without even a glance in Marks way. Mark slapped me again but to the other way. My eyes watered and I bit my lip to keep from making a noise. I flinched when Mark raised his hand again.

“Dude, stop hitting my shadow. If we go to deliver them and I have one that’s all busted up I’m the one whose looks bad.” Jamie said leaning out of the open door to his room. He gave Mark one last look and then his head disappeared into the room.

Mark lowered his hand and looked at Chris. Chris raised his eyebrow, shrugged and walked in front of Mark.  “Meal will now come only once a day, if that.” Mark shoved me hard back into line where Kylie and Lena caught me from falling.

 “Shock collars are now always on 10 and will be used frequently with any, and I mean any mistake.”  He looked at us as if we were some grotesque sub spices of the rat. “Today you will watch 2 first aid videos. You will demonstrate all that you have learned after each video. The videos are quite long so this will take most of the day until you guys make dinner.”

The first aid videos were all about how to treat, and stich deep cuts or gashes.  I took notes like we were told. The videos were quite long and gruesome but it didn’t seem to bother any of the other girls. We just sat there like zombies with dead expressions not moving or talking. Some of the other people would come through and use their computers or eat in the kitchen. There was always someone keeping an eye on us at all times.

 As soon as the videos ended and the credits started Mark came in with Chris behind him.  Chris stopped the video and mark came around the coffee table to stand in front of us.

“So what were the videos about?” Mark asked calmly.  I met eyes with Lena and Kylie wondering who should answer. Their eyes widened before I was yanked to the floor by my hair.

“I asked a question!” Mark yelled from above me.

“We were learning how to stich deep cuts.” Lena rushed out. I lifted my head off the ground and was pulled to my feet by a very strong hold on my wrist.

“Good. So now you will be able to treat things like stab wounds right?” Mark said in a false happy tone.

“Yes we will.” Lena quickly responded. 

“Great.” Mark said with a sickening smile. His hold on my wrist grew impossibly tighter. “Then prove it.”  Pain exploded on the side of my thigh and a yelp of pain ripped its way out of my throat. I crumpled to the floor cradling my thigh. 

                “Nelly!” “Nelly!” The girls yelled.  I couldn’t even look up from the knife sticking out of my thigh. Blood pooled around the knife and tears flowed out of my eyes. The slightest movement added even more horrendous pain. I looked up at Chris with watering eyes.